Need more space!...

Currently reading:
Need more space!...

Kerr1992

Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
Hi guys,

Recently I've been trying to look for a van. I'm a keen mountain biker (biking most weekends) and many people i've spoken to have said to ditch the car for a van as you have much more space for the bike, the tools and all the extra bits of kit.

Now unfortunaly upon looking at a van I've discovered that they are rediculously expensive! I was mainly looking for something along the lines of a Renualt Trafic as they are a good size and many people (my dad included) love them as they are almost like a car to drive and relatively frugal etc.

As I cannot afford one of these, I've been thinking about the possibility of taking out the rear seats of my Grande and getting a floor put in making it all level with a hatch for access to spare wheel etc.

My bike does fit into the back of the Grande, but I can't be bothered with the seats anymore and the fiddling around with it all, plus it would be easier to clean afterwards. With the seats in place it would be no good for the long distance stuff I am planning for the summer. It would also allow me to fit in a lot more gear like tent etc.

Anyone know if this would be an easy task?
Would it be expensive?
And what are you're thoughts?

Cheers
Craig

I would maybe get someone to cut the MDF as I'm no good at woodwork lol

And do you think insurance would be concerned? What would be there reason for being unhappy about it?

And yes I believe there is a grande can available but there would be no point in buying one when its basically the same thing except I would have windows lol

I actually saw a VXR corsa that had been converted into a van the other day, even had the metal welded into where the windows were lol

... I've been thinking about the possibility of taking out the rear seats of my Grande and getting a floor put in making it all level with a hatch for access to spare wheel etc. ... And what are you're thoughts?

Have you looked at alternatives (GP bike rack? trailer?) that would save you hacking the GP out of standard spec?

I take the rear seats out of my car for the trip to le mans so I can get 2 bikes and camping gear in it. Usually just a few nuts holding them in place. You may need to return it to original spec for the MOT for seatbelt reasons.
Is adding a flat floor really necessary?
I don't think it would be an insurance issue as it is not being used for commercial purposes.

Last edited:
... I don't think it would be an insurance issue ...

The insurer may view things differently.

Putting valuables on display on the back seat, roof bars, tailgate or trailer – I’d argue will alter the risk factor.

130129 20:29

My car is already modified so I don't know if it would increase if but could check, I would love a bike trailer but would require me to sit my trailer test and unfortunately I don't think you get small bike trailers do you?

As for roof racks, I hate them! I tried them to begin with and as well as managing to scuff my roof it also doubled my fuel consumption :-(

I wanted the floor so that when I put my tool box and repair stand etc in it wasn't on an uneven floor.

I'm liking all the replies though.
Thanks guys

Yes you can get small bike trailers - normally appeal to the motorhome industry but they are expensive think thats why a lot of motorhomes now have racks on the back

You can also get bars that fit on a traditional trailer if you want or just use a small traditional trailer and strap it down - you could put your equipment in the trailer also

Scratch looking for a van, get a Multipla and ditch the rear seats (they just unclip). You can fit bikes in stood upright if you remove the front wheel, plus you have space up front for 3 people. You're not limited to 50mph and they're fairly cheap + easy to maintain + fairly good ground clearance (for them less than perfect parking facilities) + you don't care if they get cruddy.

I'm sorry, but as a 21 year old bloke, i'm not driving around in a multipla :p lol, they aren't the prettiest of cars to be honest lol.

I may just opt for the temporary removal of seats :-( and will also take a look at small bike trailers, this could be more expensive as would have to buy the trailer and get a towbar fitted.

Thanks for the advice guys.

See that's why I was wanting a van, tools, bike and mattress is all I would need :p lol ... However, I would still want it to be pretty decent as it would be replacing my car as my main mode of transport :)

get a van

i've got a renault kangoo 4x4 van forsale, remapped to 110bhp, 1.9 turbo diesel

cheap to insure i pay about 300 quid a year

2013-01-18113548_zpsf1318e47.jpg

Back