Tuning Need help please

Currently reading:
Tuning Need help please

Welshbaba34

Hi I had H&R springs fitted to my abarth 500 passengers side top mount looks flush and sitting nice, drivers side popping up and excessive movement any help with this please I got told a faulty spring

Attachments

• IMG-20211201-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20211201-WA0002.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG-20211201-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20211201-WA0000.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
I'd have thought more likely the 'wobble blob' strut top has let go, I mentioned this briefly in my rebuild thread (along with why I call it a wobble blob ;) ), but since the strut top mount's basically a big bit of rubber which isn't attached to the car it'll be more prone to wear than a traditional strut top, and fitting uprated springs will increase wear since it'll be absorbing more force from bumps in the road than usual.

Should be simple enough to see if a spring's let go but I wouldn't mind betting you'll soon be cursing at the corroded strut bolts whilst preparing to fit a new £30 lump of rubber.

The Euro-spec 500's wobble blob:

609580180.jpg

I'd have thought more likely the 'wobble blob' strut top has let go, I mentioned this briefly in my rebuild thread (along with why I call it a wobble blob ;) ), but since the strut top mount's basically a big bit of rubber which isn't attached to the car it'll be more prone to wear than a traditional strut top, and fitting uprated springs will increase wear since it'll be absorbing more force from bumps in the road than usual.

Should be simple enough to see if a spring's let go but I wouldn't mind betting you'll soon be cursing at the corroded strut bolts whilst preparing to fit a new £30 lump of rubber.

The Euro-spec 500's wobble blob:

609580180.jpg
Look the legend haha thanks mate was doing my head in il get on it and order one I was ready with petrol and matches, and when I had the springs put on the top mount split open and bearings popped out so we greased them up put it back together then that was happening, thank you for your advice mate much appreciate it.

Look the legend haha thanks mate was doing my head in il get on it and order one I was ready with petrol and matches, and when I had the springs put on the top mount split open and bearings popped out so we greased them up put it back together then that was happening, thank you for your advice mate much appreciate it.
No worries :)

I'm still fairly new to this Fiat malarkey but the wobble blob's bearings are quite tiny and feeble, and from what I've read people normally replace the strut tops as a matter of course when replacing springs or shocks at the front, though whether that's because they never quite sit right once they've been apart or because they wear out every 2 years anyway is a different matter...

(BTW they should be assembled with the bit that looks like an arrow pointing towards the back of the car, otherwise the castor will be all kinds of wrong; could be the passenger side's incorrect too, since the wobble blobs are supposed to wobble a bit :D )

Edit: this thread might come in handy when ordering those new strut tops: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/shop4parts-10-discount-on-fiat-and-alfa-parts.113128/

Last edited:
No worries

No worries :)

I'm still fairly new to this Fiat malarkey but the wobble blob's bearings are quite tiny and feeble, and from what I've read people normally replace the strut tops as a matter of course when replacing springs or shocks at the front, though whether that's because they never quite sit right once they've been apart or because they wear out every 2 years anyway is a different matter...

(BTW they should be assembled with the bit that looks like an arrow pointing towards the back of the car, otherwise the castor will be all kinds of wrong; could be the passenger side's incorrect too, since the wobble blobs are supposed to wobble a bit :D )

Edit: this thread might come in handy when ordering those new strut tops: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/shop4parts-10-discount-on-fiat-and-alfa-parts.113128/
Thanks for this information my heads been fried 😂 there is movement in the passengers side just not excessive movement like the drivers side.

Im glad you put my mind to rest I was going to put the old springs back on but I would of had the same problem lol only 20 odd pound il pick some up.

It was making a clunking sound when I was locking the wheel but because I greased it up it hide the problem 😂 😂

Back