Need help on insurance ???

Currently reading:
Need help on insurance ???

bigmac2088

I am about to pass my test and i am getting some insurance quotes above £3500 and that is the cheapest i have been given....

can anybody help me or give me any suggestions about getting these quotes down???

and people wonder about young lads driving around without insurance.....its a frigging joke .....

cheers

Your stuffed pretty much pal!!!

Best way is to be a named driver for a couple of years until its at a reasonable price. I waited 3 years to be a main driver and even now on my grande punto 1.2 active (very low insurance group) its £1200.

My only recommendation for ya pal, don't drive around with no insurance you probably won't last a couple of days on the road these days all traffic cop cars will be able to read ya reg n flag you as no insurance. Then, you're screwed on insurance for the rest of your life.

Also, only put yourself down as a named driver if you aren't the main driver of the car. Cos when you prang all that'll be waiting for you is a big fat VOID on your insurance certificate.

EDIT: Putting a parent or two as named drivers on YOUR policy has been known to bring it down a packet and is all above board, for now.

ok cheers guys...... i still think the price of insurance for young drivers is despicable......

Your stuffed pretty much pal!!!

Best way is to be a named driver for a couple of years until its at a reasonable price. I waited 3 years to be a main driver and even now on my grande punto 1.2 active (very low insurance group) its £1200.

My only recommendation for ya pal, don't drive around with no insurance you probably won't last a couple of days on the road these days all traffic cop cars will be able to read ya reg n flag you as no insurance. Then, you're screwed on insurance for the rest of your life.

That would be fronting and illegal, very easy to find out if someone is fronting as well. Have a crash and the company finds out, and the chance they won't pay out, got a spare million+ if you kill someone?

ok cheers guys...... i still think the price of insurance for young drivers is despicable......

Young drivers are higher risk...fact, thats why insurance is so high. If you can't afford it wait until you can.

Adding parents on to your insurance as a named driver can help, my mum saved me £100 last year, but put it up £2 this year, all depends.

hi, i passed my test in december .. its all to do with car .. which insurance your going for ... going third party brings it down quite abit ... which is worth it if the car isnt worth too much ... im a named driver on my insurance because i have a punto sporting for my first car soo insurance on that is 3 grand a year, third party haha sooo iv gone fully comp and my girlfriend is the main driver and that sets me back £109 a month a normal punto was only £60 a month i think .... n thats with admiral and they let you do modifications .... hope this helps!

Thanks, Steve

the only way people get caught out with fronting is if there is 2 cars in the main drivers name, and if the car is in the second drivers name.

ie. when i first got a car and passed my test at 17 i had the same problem so i did this, i live with nan and grandad. my grandad was insured on his car with my nan and me as named drivers. he has full ncd which is the main thing to bring the insurance down, so i swapped his insurance to my car and my car went into his name on the logbook, his car i insured it with my nan as a main driver and him as a named driver.

ive been pulled over a few times and never had any trouble, just dont modify the car heavily to attract attention to yourself.

funny thing is though ive been on that insurance policy for 2 years, and it was £60 a month ish, however when the 2 year renewal came through it came back as £120 a month on a 1.4 polo, ive since got quotes of £95 a month now at 20 on a 1.8 8v 6n polo;)

but yeah, fronting is illegal ummmckayy(y)

the only way people get caught out with fronting is if there is 2 cars in the main drivers name, and if the car is in the second drivers name.
Oh dear... The only way?? :rolleyes:

As for being pulled by the Police and getting away with it - well as long as you are covered, surely their job is over!

BUT have a serious accident and get the insurance company involved...

ie. when i first got a car and passed my test at 17 i had the same problem so i did this, i live with nan and grandad. my grandad was insured on his car with my nan and me as named drivers. he has full ncd which is the main thing to bring the insurance down, so i swapped his insurance to my car and my car went into his name on the logbook, his car i insured it with my nan as a main driver and him as a named driver.

ive been pulled over a few times and never had any trouble, just dont modify the car heavily to attract attention to yourself.

funny thing is though ive been on that insurance policy for 2 years, and it was £60 a month ish, however when the 2 year renewal came through it came back as £120 a month on a 1.4 polo, ive since got quotes of £95 a month now at 20 on a 1.8 8v 6n polo;)

but yeah, fronting is illegal ummmckayy(y)

Believe me, its not the only way to find someone out for fronting, but if you want to believe that go for it ;).

As for being pulled by the Police and getting away with it - well as long as you are covered, surely their job is over!
I my area when the police stop a young driver who is on the insurance as second driver, they automatically check the PNC to see if the main driver has another car. If so they ask how one person can be the main driver on two different cars. If it is genuine there is no problem. If it isn't, it is very easy to catch people out.

It only takes a few minutes to check and when they do catch somebody fronting they get two convictions.

My lad was looking at £4k on an 02 plate polo 1.2, doing passplus dropped this to a shade over £2k.
He looked at the one where you have a device fitted but managed to find one even cheaper - As they went through the policy, the price increased along with the mileage (I guess they figure they want to stop all the 'cruising') & I reckon he'll come a cropper at renewal time as he loves to ferry his dozy mates around.

As for the fronting isues, I don't think police and insurance care that much as long as there is insurance on a car & your name is on the policy.
It's just when it comes to crunch time that the insurance co will start nitpicking & the investigators will come around. As for putting cars in nan's name, insurance companies tend to know what type of cars old people go for & it's rare for them to go outside that area (there are odd exceptions), also insurance companies tend to start increasing premiums for older drivers - despite 60 years no claims & clean driving license, his premiums went silly.

Last edited:
Back