Technical Need advice on exhaust parts!

Currently reading:
Technical Need advice on exhaust parts!

MalcBrava

Hi
I have a 99 Fiat Brava 1.6 and the rear box fell off. Kwik Fit want over £200 to fix it. I have seen some on ebay but they are sold as either 95-98, 98-00 or 95-01. Does anyone know if an exhaust for a 95-98 model will fit my 99? I ask because the ones sold as 98-00 are significantly more expensive.
Thanks

Hi,
£200 sounds very steep,

I don't know how practical / hands on you are..??

from the factory the exhaust is often 1 long length / often needs to be cut to fit a new section..has this already been done ( likely after 5 / 7 years old) as this would add to the cost.

try and see if the different pipes look like the run on yours,
over / around suspension / fuel tanks etc.

I can't comment on specific fits for your model though, have you asked a local tyre + exhaust indie for a quote,
for more likely to give you an idea of the work involved, and a sensible price,

as a temprorary fix , i've resorted to hammering a piece of steel tube between the exhaust pipe and Silencer box - at the common fracture point - this is fine while the new pipe arrives ( especially if the supply the wrong item..!!)

Charlie

It seems there are two different systems for the 1.6....('95-'98 and '98-2001)

The first ('95-'98)has a seperate rear silencer....

naread.exe

And the second system ('98-2001) is a complete section from the cat back....

naread.exe

The bends and mounts are likely to be very similar so as varesecrazy suggests maybe able to change just the rear silencer by cutting the pipe and joining them.

Or possibly buy both sections for older model off ebay and use these as still cheaper than £200 you've been quoted and you'll never have to worry about it again.

On ebay etc you get what you pay for, similarly for pattern systems from motor factors.

Yes the chances are you need the later, full system with the 2 boxes combined. You may as well face the fact that you should change both boxes (obviously one has already fallen off!). You could bodge a backbox only on but you've still got an old middle box that will need doing at some stage.

If you get a cheapo system you will lose some performance and maybe sound quality and service life.. I hummed and ha'd last year when the back box on my 2000 Brava 1.2 fell off (same system as yours..), finally I decided on a proper Klarius (i.e. TI in the past) and got it supplied and fitted by National Tyres, same people and system who did it 5 years before. If you're clever with discount vouchers and deals you can get good reductions and service from National. It cost me £180 which isn't cheap but they did a proper job with proper parts and since I like to look after the car that was OK for me.

You may save a bit by going budget but these days £50 / £60 only buys you 3/4 a tank of fuel..

Hi,
had to have mine replaced recently, a late 2000 1.6 16v elx.
Exhaust was 5 1/2 years old, corroded to begorrah and blowing.
I got it done at Kwik Fit, at £218 all in and comes with a 3 year unlimited mileage guarantee.

I didnt see them fit it but believe it was 2 piece as 2 seperate codes and prices for parts on the receipt.
Dug out the previous invoice for exhaust replacement and that was 2 codes as well.

Went for Kwik Fit as convenient for me and the Guarantee.
Yes, you can get cheaper, but is it worth it in the long run?
A big up front cost but you should expect to get x years life out of it.

If i can get 5 years out of this one i'll be well happy.

Cheers

Hi,
had to have mine replaced recently, a late 2000 1.6 16v elx.
Exhaust was 5 1/2 years old, corroded to begorrah and blowing.
I got it done at Kwik Fit, at £218 all in and comes with a 3 year unlimited mileage guarantee.

I didnt see them fit it but believe it was 2 piece as 2 seperate codes and prices for parts on the receipt.
Dug out the previous invoice for exhaust replacement and that was 2 codes as well.

Went for Kwik Fit as convenient for me and the Guarantee.
Yes, you can get cheaper, but is it worth it in the long run?
A big up front cost but you should expect to get x years life out of it.

If i can get 5 years out of this one i'll be well happy.

Cheers

Hi,
I did suspect it was a CAT-back system they were quoting for,

however I'm not sure I would spend that kind of money on a 12 year old car,
my cars tend to last a couple of years for my uses,

unfortunately there will always be some fault that renders the car beyond economic repair - especially at higher mileages,

if the car is cosseted , low mileage and VERY tidy , then why not,

Charlie

Back