General Need a couple opinions about reliability

Currently reading:
General Need a couple opinions about reliability

jamies

I have decided that I will be buying an early 80s Spider. I like both the 2000 and the Pinna Farina. Anyone know which is more reliable?

Also, it has been suggested to me that I could substitute another engine from, say, a Japanese car to make my car run better. I know that this probably horrifies Fiat lovers, but I don't mind sacrificing a little in this area. Can this be done? Any suggestions about this idea would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jamies,

I'm too young to advise you a 80s Spider...

But I hope you never will buy one! You want to kill it!

Japanaise engine in a Fiat Spider!?!?... Why not a Diesel engine, so it will has little consuptions...

Buy a Corolla! It's better...

Sorry for my words, but I had never heard such a thing up to now!

Ciao

Roberto

Agreed. I just can't believe that anyone would want to ditch the lovely Fiat engine ;)

Steve

Drives a Panda 1000CL [:0] but still has a sense of humour!

(I'm on [email protected] and [email protected])

1989 Fiat Panda 1000CL
Electronic Distributor
Metamec copper brake pipes
Currently immobile with a knackered gearbox and mouldy upholstery ;)
Replacement 5-speed 'box and new QH clutch in garage ready to fit
and is likely to remain there for some time yet due to my EXTREME
LAZINESS (and it's cold and wet out there - okay, so I'm a wimp) ...

People are only limited by their own wants and desires. I have only had my 1980 for a week and I have already considered dropping a Chrysler 318 in it. I have a friend that owns a machine shop and says he can make an adapter to use with the Fiat tranny so everything else will be stock. Haven't made up my mind yet, but would also have to beef up the front suspension, however it does open up a whole new set of possibilities thinking about a V8 in a Fiat convertible body. My 2000 engine runs well, but I have always been a bit of a sleeper fan, and I love the sound of 318 Chrysler engines with glasspac mufflers on them.

I have been restoring cars for many years, and have done many different combinations, such as a 440 Chrysler with 727 tranny in place of a 6 banger Mercury Monarch 2 dr hardtop for one of my twin daughters when she turned 16.

Happy Motoring. :D:cool:

Back