Technical My radiator flooded my car

Currently reading:
Technical My radiator flooded my car

StefanMk1

So i have a 99 puntoSX mk1. I noticed that the engine temp was getting pretty hot and as i came to park the car it was past 3/4 on the temp gauge. I switched the car off but i then when went to turn the ignition to ON so i can at least put the windows up all the air vents blew out hot steam and water flooded the floor.

Now heres my theory on what happend. The water from the radiator must pass through the dashboard in order for the heater to function... so my guess is the pipe which the hot water travels through is cracked or has a leak at some joint hence causing the water to leak hence losing water from the radiator thus not cooling the engine enough. Since the engine got so hot it boiled the remaining water and shot it out threw the a/c vents.

Im i right? Anyone ever had any experience with this type of problem or is there someone who can point out to me where to look to find the problem? Im just looking for all the info i can get at the moment.

Yup, get on your hands and knees and check the black box under the dash on the passenger side. Also I think the heater matrix going causes a rotten egg smell?

IIRC this is a pricey job to have fixed?

Whats a heater matrix? Ye it smells pretty funky now :mad:... Is this a serious problem? The black box underneath the dash leaks drops of water and it also seems to have some type of silicon insulation going down the middle of it??? I didn't get a good look because it was dark, ill look at it much better tomorrow...

The heater matrix is the part of the car that controls the heating.

Its gonna cost about £300 - £350 to fix unless you do it youself. But its a big job as the whole dash needs to come out.

You may be told that RadWeld (or similar liquid sealants) can be used to fix it. They cannot. They cause the matrix to pressurise and can explode, throwing boiling water everywhere. Also don't buy a second hand one as it will need pressure testing and may not be ok. The part itself costs around £90 if you DID want to DIY.

Also I heard that if the heater matrix goes it can be associated with Head Gasket issues so I would get that checked out and wouldn't drive too much with no heater matrix.

Maybe somebody could just clarify that though

Well i took a better look from under the dash, couldn't really see any more clues as to what the problem is but from what it seems its definitely the heater matrix, since all the symptoms are there. I think i will DIY this but in the mean time while i wait for the part is there any guide as to how to bypass the heater matrix, because i could really do with the car these days :(????

EDIT:

heater matrix.jpg
Are these the pipes i will have to join in order to bypass the heater matrix?

They have some sort of clip holding them that i cant understand how to get off... also how is this typically done? Ive searched and found out a u-joint is used but there is hardly any space to work...

Last edited:
Bump

Does anyone know if it would be alright to just plug each of the hoses, instead of joining them?

You can't plug them, then the water doesn't get around the system.

The clips are easy to come off but the pipes are an absolute ballache to get off.

I couldn't get mine off with the engine out and I'm not exactly weak or small.

Haha dont i know... i spent 2 hours yesterday just trying to take them off. It looks like the heater system works parallel with the engine cooling. So wouldnt pluging them just restrict the heater matrix of water but allow water to flow to the engine?

I was under the impression the system is like any other where it's a total loop.

So you can't block them off you can only join them, effectively bypassing the matrix.

if you get a set of grips on the pipe an turn it before pulling then they come off easy.

you can join the pipes with a bit of 13mm home copper pipe stuff and a couple of screw clips, dont forget to bleed the system after, tells you how to in the guides.

be aware that you may not be able to see out the window when it rains an steams up though

Yea that's basically what i did, except the part about bleeding the system? I'm aware that i have no heating now but its just a temporary fix till i get a new heater matrix. Thanks for all the help (y)! Definitely would have had a much harder time if it wasn't for all the responces...

Back