Technical Radiator fan not turning, f6 fuse blown, car overheating

Currently reading:
Technical Radiator fan not turning, f6 fuse blown, car overheating

daz4mile

Hi there, (Punto 2004 1.2) so f6 fuse for radiator fan blown as fan was not turning. Tried to push the fan and it was very stiff, took a small bit of force to move it at first. This caused coolant to escape as getting too hot, engine temp red lighted briefly for a few minutes before I parked up after idling in traffic. I have used WD40 penetrator on the fan and it moves slightly freely with a push but still won't work and engine still over heats after a new 30A fuse has been put in. I am now waiting for new radiator fan to arrive on Tuesday 14th Feb.

All this happened after it had been in garage for MOT which only failed on needing headlight polished. Very strange.....

I also replaced fan blower resistor about one week prior to all this with a resistor for a Bravia I think, it just has a redundant 5th wire and different fitting.

Any comments appreciated thankyou.
(Will be changing the stereo soon which stopped working from blown fuse after using the old cigarette lighter, never again)
Are Fiat Punto electrics just appalling everywhere?

Kind regards

Hi ..its like any other 19 year old car :)

Are you using my GUIDE for the fan ?

Pretty simple.. operation is @30 minutes I did a few when running the 188's (y)

What did you change?? Resisistor pack for interior fan ? Shouldnt effect radiator cooling fan

Most MOTs have the motor idling for 40 minutes.. you need a fan for that ;)

I MOTd a clio once .. new Rad
( and Fan assembly was still in the box in the boot..)

It spat out coolant while idling on the ramp :-(

Back