General My Qubo Review

Currently reading:
General My Qubo Review

Professor Peach

I’ve recently purchased a new (to me) Qubo and received a lot of help on here, so as promised here is my review:

First off it’s a 2012, 62 plate 1.4 petrol My Life in red with 30,000 miles on the clock, FSH, 12 months MoT etc. Pretty much mint condition except for a small scrape on the NSF passenger door, probably an interface with an errant shopping trolley or similar. I did consider going diesel but couldn’t quite get past the potential aggravation of blocked dpf, egr and whatever.

Bought sight unseen and having never even sat in a Qubo before my main concern was that the mighty 73bhp powerhouse would not be up to the job. Turns out I needn’t have worried; obviously it’s no ball of fire but cruised home up the motorway no problem at all. Only hilly roads have you flicking round the gearbox but it’s no hardship if you enjoy driving.

I owned a 500L for three years until 2018, and for me the Qubo is much better to drive: the steering is heavier (still easy of course), the gear change slicker, the handling tauter and the seats more supportive.

The driving position is higher than I imagined and together with the glass area and huge windscreen this gives a really commanding view out, especially straight ahead. Only the thick B pillar blots the copy book at angled T-junctions where you either have to lean forwards to see what’s coming, or backwards to look out of the rear side window. Door mirrors are big and really usefully shaped.

Boot space is a decent size with the rear seats in place, and massively increased with them folded up with a useful square shaped and perfectly flat floor. Yesterday I removed the rear seats completely so now the loading volume is huge. Removing those seats was straightforward enough but they are VERY heavy!! I will use the Qubo mainly for work and fitted a pair of heavy duty front seat covers yesterday to protect them. In the coming weeks I am planning 4 x all season tyres, rear window tinting and I’ll make a bespoke plywood load floor with non-slip rubber matting. Updates to follow...

Overall I’m really loving the Qubo and think of it as a ‘proper’ Fiat; simple, basic, unpretentious and really characterful. With the old faithful FIRE engine up front it even sounds like a Fiat! I suppose it’s a sort of modern day equivalent of the Renault 4, but with more mod cons. I really like the sort of anti-cool image... whereas most MPVs say I'm married, stressed, got six kids and three dogs, I'm active and really busy; and SUVs say I'm keeping up with my friends and other Instragram vegetables with my latest PCP and credit purchases... the Qubo just gets on with it and if you don't like it then you can just sod off :cool:

As a final word I’ve been looking for excuses to take it out for a drive… I even went out shopping yesterday! :slayer:

Last edited:
A few more thoughts after some more use...

The driving position is multi-adjustable which is very welcome: the steering wheel goes in & out and up & down, and the driver's seat has both height & lumbar adjustment and a well positioned armrest. Oh, and the steering wheel is a nice shape (ha ha round), well yes it's round but has a couple of good thumb grips on it as well.

Reversing into a parking space is easy as the vertical rear screen is practically the rearmost point of the vehicle. There is very little rear bumper protrusion. The front is not so easy to judge but not really a problem anyway.

Don't even think about driving off without your seatbelt on as Qubos get VERY agitated about this sort of reckless behaviour Ahhhh … a high pitched and very loud warning beeper goes off and keeps going until you sort yourself out!... found this one out just this morning, was only going round the block, honest :)

Speaking of warning bleeps when I bought mine it had a so-called 'Speed Beep' set at 30mph; this got very annoying very quickly and had me delving into the handbook asap to turn it off.

There's a slightly curious 'pinging' when moving off in 1st gear, it seems to be coming from the clutch pedal; can anyone shed any light on this?

Anyway I'm still really happy with my Qubo with the huge load space (rear seats removed) and sliding rear doors being very welcome over the course of this week. Also I had some anti-slip rubber matting delivered yesterday and this worked a treat as a temporary solution to having boxes sliding around on the boot floor. I've been doing a daily 50 mile round trip on a cross country route for the past week and a half and have been looking forward to the drive each day :cool:

Cheers for that... the 30mph bleeping traumatised me that much I couldn't wait to get rid of it completely! Apparently the previous owner lived in a village near to the garage where I bought it from; I think she must never have ventured onto the open road.

Anyway now I've had a a chance to calm down your setting of 74mph sounds sensible so I'll probably follow suit (y)

Back