Currently reading:
General My new Uno (Will Start One Day)

Re: My new Uno (Cam Pulley Wont Turn).

camshaft is not moving due to;-
1 bent valves
2 seized cam
3 cambelt jumped teeth causing piston to valve contact
4 foreign object in chamber
course of action is cam cover off for inspection. cambelt off. try to turn cam with pistons moved from any TDC. no joy then head off.:)

Hi JonnyBoy,

Generally the Uno 45 (AKA Formula) was sold with the 903cc (OHV/pushrod), the 45S (AKA FIRE) with a FIRE engine.

My 45S has neither :D. You’re advice still holds
icon14.gif

Missed this one :eek:
GhostWKD said:
Hmmm doesnt the uno use a garrett T2 turbo or similar? :chin: :p
Thats the MK2, the MK1 uses an IHI IIR :).

As you asked Chas, another picture (From 2003 ;))
Old2.jpg

Hmmm, my brain must've been on strike yesterday :rolleyes: suppose if I could've been arsed reading the whole thread - or even looked at the full size photos - I would've caught on! ;)

Duhhhhh... time for my medication... :nutter:

JonnyBoy said:
Hmmm, my brain must've been on strike yesterday :rolleyes: suppose if I could've been arsed reading the whole thread - or even looked at the full size photos - I would've caught on! ;)

Duhhhhh... time for my medication... :nutter:
doh! think about it:)

Really slow progress today. I didn’t start till late, as it was too cold outside :(.

As this engine is alien to me, I’ve been making notes as I go along, bagging each group of parts separately with labels. I didn’t get as far as I’d anticipated TBH :eek:.

:confused: Do you think it will be OK to leave the cam cover off all week, or should it be put back on ASAP?

Cheers All,

Louie Bee said:
Really slow progress today. I didn’t start till late, as it was too cold outside :(.

As this engine is alien to me, I’ve been making notes as I go along, bagging each group of parts separately with labels. I didn’t get as far as I’d anticipated TBH :eek:.

:confused: Do you think it will be OK to leave the cam cover off all week, or should it be put back on ASAP?

Cheers All,

its only a 45 i wouldn't worry :p

Re: My new Uno.

JonnyBoy said:
A Mk1 45 should actually have the old 903cc pushrod engine, now that I think about it (I had this engine in my Mk2 Uno).

Not quite true JonnyBoy. Up until 1985, all 45 engined Uno's were fitted with ohv engines. When the FIRE engine was released in 1985, it was meant to replace the 903cc ohv engine, and it did for a couple of years. From 1985 to around 1987, nearly ALL mk1 Uno 45's, whether the bog standard "45" or the "45S" were fitted with the 999cc FIRE engine. The "S" model was obviously better equipped and came with a 5 speed box, whereas the "45" only came with a four speeder.

I've had both a "45" and a "45S", both from 1986, and they both had 999cc FIRE engines!

For some reason only known to Fiat, they decided to bring back the 903cc ohv engine sometime in 1987. I have a feeling all 45 model Uno's with this engine were then known as 'Formula'. It was in effect the most basic model.

The 45S was still available, and was always fitted with the FIRE engine right up until the end of mk1 production in 1989. Some models such as the Bianca, Eleganza and I think one or two others 'limited edition' models were also available later on in mk1 production life, and these all had FIRE engines based as they were on the 45S.

But Louie's new 45S is somewhat a Chameleon I suspect ;)

Last edited:

louie, the cam cover wil be fine off for now. u should really put it back on tho when ur using ur it. mind u, ive never ever had a cam cover on my UT lol, i like to see the red vernier pulley :p

louie, i still think u should get a UT hatch, UT bodykit mate. and everything else ur missing, make it a true UT again, it looks naked without the kit and hatch lol

oh, by the way louie, me and my UT crew now have a new black mk1 join our crew hehe ;) so thats 4 of us now with UTs and 2 of us with punto gt's and we're all local to each other lol. bring on the summer and im sure we'll all be trying to out do each other :p

Dunc

Dunc Uno Turbo said:
louie, the cam cover wil be fine off for now. u should really put it back on tho when ur using ur it. mind u, ive never ever had a cam cover on my UT lol, i like to see the red vernier pulley :p

I'm not sure, but I think Louie means the 'cam box' cover that covers the camshaft! The cambelt cover isn't so important, but it does stop foreign objects/ grit from getting in between the belt and the pulleys and wrecking the belt!

Louie, you can just put the cam cover back with a couple of bolts for now. Main thing is to make sure no dirt or stuff falls in, but if you're replacing the engine or head then maybe it's not such an issue!

Dunc Uno Turbo said:
louie, i still think u should get a UT hatch, UT bodykit mate. and everything else ur missing, make it a true UT again, it looks naked without the kit and hatch lol

Though the UT bodykit and hatch look good, I think it would be quite good fun to have a 'naked' Uno in turbo guise! Street sleeper and all that. See Turboned's picture above! Stealth cars are the most fun believe me, so Louie, just stick that 45S badge on the boot and prepare to go out and shock a few people :devil:

Dunc Uno Turbo said:
oh, by the way louie, me and my UT crew now have a new black mk1 join our crew hehe ;) so thats 4 of us now with UTs and 2 of us with punto gt's and we're all local to each other lol. bring on the summer and im sure we'll all be trying to out do each other :p Dunc

Nice to hear another mk1 has made an appearance! Any pictures of the UT crew up north? Maybe one day I'll be able to add to the UT crew, but for now my studying means I can barely afford to keep my 45S running :( Then again, I saw a Punto 75 engine go for £100 on Ebay, and that gives 70 odd horses and is near enough a straight swap. Maybe I'll try a different route to get more power but on a budget :chin: ;)

Last edited:
My new Uno.

Jai - Nice personification (y)

Oldskool – you have A PM on its way :).

Dunc :woot: another MK1 UT kicking around :). Bring on the warmer whether :D.

Dunc and Chas, I have both the cam belt cover, and camshaft covers off :). I’m not used to the terminology :eek: so many new named parts. I was asking about the camshaft cover. It’s now resting on cambox with an old shirt over the top just now. I forgot to plug or replace the distributor.

Don’t get me wrong; I am a big fan of the Turbo styling. Living where I live, I’m not too keen on having the full UT look. IMO scrotes would be queuing up to have a pop at TW0K’ing :thumbdn:.

I also noticed when I was driving the turbo styled 45S, more people wanted to race me. Its one thing to be able give a good challenge, another not to be challenged in the first place :D. 45Stealth for now ;).

Chas – we know it’s only a matter of time before you get a 1.2 FIRE in. Alex has a couple of pictures of the white Uno Turbo. He’s been really busy since he returned home :eek:.

Sorry, I forgot to say what I saw as I removed the camshaft cover yesterday :eek:.

The Air inlet hose (big one which connects to the Inlet manifold) has quite heavy black oil deposit inside.

The Distributor O-Ring gasket has been leaking for years.

The camshaft cover nuts were really loose, but the gasket seal was still stuck down (don’t think it’s been off recently)

The camshaft is rusty, but not all over, It looks like it’s turned a bit recently – perhaps when I tried starting a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers Guys
:peace:

Nice one Louie,
Though I'm as puzzled as anyone about the engine. Sounds like a 1301cc transplant!

I haven't even got the photos off my memory cards/CDs yet, let alone sorted them... so I can't chime in with any photos of that tidy white Mk1 Turbo (yet).

I still think you should have an Uno Turbo, Louie, as just reward for your diligent preservation of your red 45... Then again, seeing how you can drive the 45, I'd be worried for other road users if you had the Turbo (thanks for keeping the speed down on that drive to Derby, by the way - others please note I was following in a V******* C****...) :)

EDITED: Hang on, it really IS, isn't it... I liked the sound of the rubber inlet hose when I re-read this thread.
I think I remember seeing that car at Santa Pod (then again, I always say that) :D

Maybe I have to replace the 'had' in the paragraph above with 'have'.

-Alex

Last edited:
Back