General My new Uno (Will Start One Day)

Currently reading:
General My new Uno (Will Start One Day)

Hi Alex,

You’re a fine one to comment on my driving :p :D. I’ll say no more LOL ;).

I can tell you my new 45S don’t have a 1301 engine :).

This car has been at Santa Pod (in the car park).

I can’t wait for you to upload some pictures :).

Regards,

>> You’re a fine one to comment on my driving . I’ll say no more LOL .

Yeah, that was really embarrassing, an 11-point turn trying to reverse out of a parking space past a van, well I was tired, OK?! :)

Driving back from Exeter to Gatwick along the A303 and various other narrow bits, I covered 90 miles in an hour. The trip took less than three hours. Need I say more? :D

I've attached a picture of the Uno that I was thinking of (in the Santa Pod car park).

The exhaust pipe in your pics looks a little too large for an Uno 45.

OK, maybe it's a 1299cc engine, then?!

-Alex

Attachments

• 108_0801_small.jpg
    108_0801_small.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 19
Hi Alex,

You know what they say about driving when tired? :p

That’s nearly a picture of my new 45S ;). Mine is met. blue with black bumpers and wheels. That’s where the similarities end I’m afraid. Mine are Lancia wheels, I have no arch or sill protectors, and a 45S tail gate. It’s an F plate, with clear / red rear lenses :D

You’re spot on with the 1299 (y)

You were also spot on about needing the rear upper mounts I sold you (dow!).

Last edited:
alexGS said:
I think I've missed something here... can we just come clean over WHICH engine is in the blue Mk1 45S... :D

Is it a turbocharged engine?
Is it running?
Is it so bad that you need to replace it?

Only - it's been at least a week and I'm still guessing ;)
Thanks!
-Alex
alex, think about the white one louie has bought. the blue one is the same.;)

Ok Alex :D from the top :)...

My 45S has undergone a Turbo IE conversion. It has the older 1299CC engine.

The seller told me oil had been leaking out of the cam for about 3 years when hot. It used to land on the Drivers side tyre :eek:. One day the engine bay started smoking, he lost oil pressure and the warning light came on. He pulled up and was transported home. He bought a Tipo and hasn’t driven an Uno since.

My assumption are...
The sump has been pressurised, pushing oil out the cam. The pressurising arising from a leaking cylinder.

The oil pump has given up the ghost, causing loss of oil pressure.

I could be way out here ;).

That’s how it stood when I went to see the shell. The seller told me the engine turned OK before the battery went flat. I put in a good battery and tried starting. The engine turned a couple of times, then no more. I could hear the starter motor trying to turn it, but nothing else.

Uno gets transported to my new garage.

I tried manually turning the crank. It turned, skipping timing belt teeth (I only went through 5, then back)

I tried manually turning the camshaft. Won’t budge 1 degree.

I look under the cam cover. The camshaft is rusty with shiny patches. Looks like the cam has turned when I tried starting, then seized.

My next step is to remove the head and check the valves. I’m just waiting to get some crow feet (restricted access to the back head bolts) and some warm weather.

I’m not sure if I need a new engine :eek:, but I’m guessing it’s easier to fit a known good engine than to fix the one I’ve got :chin: Then again I’m no longer in a rush to get an Uno Turbo on the road.

Regards,

sumplug said:
alex, think about the white one louie has bought. the blue one is the same.;)
Not at All :p

The white one is A MK2, The Blue a MK1 ;)

Getting them mixed up is nearly as bad as saying to sie owner ‘I like you’re Cinq’ ;). A mistake I once made at a car show :eek:

Last edited:
Back