General My MK1 restoration thread

Currently reading:
General My MK1 restoration thread

Thought I’d post up some info about what I’m up to with my MK1 (copied from TC).

I purchased a MK1 a couple of years ago. It used to pound the streets of Canterbury up till around 2004.

Originally it looked like this.

Red_03.jpg
Red_02.jpg

Red_01.jpg

Some of you may remember Unoturboted owned this car? These pics are from his gallery on the old turbo collective site.

In late 2002 the car was re-shelled to give a new lease of life, becoming a bit of a sleeper. There were various finishing touches to the car and I think these are some if the last pictures Ted took.

Blue_1.jpg

Blue_2.jpg

Blue_3.jpg

Blue_4.jpg

Blue_6.jpg

Blue_5.jpg

Somew time after the reshell there had been an oil leak with smoke bellowing out from the bay with an oil warning light on. The car was towed home and started up now and then but the battery eventually went flat. A 2-litter conversion was planned for this car but unfortunately never materialised.

The car was on the bay a couple of times but Ted would NOT sell to some nob who bid for the wheels and to scrap the car. Thank Fooook he told him to bugger off!!!!

I had seen this car on the bay not sell so I rang Ted up. After a chat about the car, I did a deal then I tried another battery. After half a turn, the engine froze. Apart from the odd ding, this is pretty much the condition I got the car in.

I had the Uno tailored home and removed the head. The crank now turns freely but there is up and down play in pistons 2 and 3 – IE turn just past TDC, press down and the pistons will click down a touch.

Block_Top_1_4_Up.jpg

I’m not sure exactly where the oil was leaking from but the O/S/F wheel has some oil on it. After removing the head, progress has more or less come to a holt and the car has been in dry storage.

In the meantime I've collected a few e-bay barging and a spare engine to drop in some time soon.

Black_1.jpg

Black_2.jpg

Black_3.jpg

Some of you may know the donor car? Mark sold and delivered the engine to me after changing his mind. Looks like only done 77K.

Lump_1.jpg

Lump_3.jpg

Lump_2.jpg

As you can see the engine was cut out of the car - all the pipes have been chopped, as has the drive shaft, exhaust down pipe and O/S mount bracket. I have since removed a few parts from this engine and will take it from there when I get rid of the MK2 shell. A good clean is the next step.

The rusty MK2 was purchased for the engine to drop into the MK1 but decided against it – hence breaking it.

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Back