Technical My Fiat 500 with 126 engine sticking in gear- help!!!

Currently reading:
Technical My Fiat 500 with 126 engine sticking in gear- help!!!

pigelton

I am the new owner of a 1971 500L. I’ve recently had my local classic garage fit a new engine and gearbox from a Polski 126.
The problem is that it keeps getting stuck in gear, initially second and now 4th. The Garage who did the replacement looked at the old 500 engine and found a couple of spacers between the flywheel and the clutch which they thought would solve the problem, it did for a short while but then it got stuck in 4th as you were driving along and the only way to release it was to stop the car and the engine.
Having looked at various 126/500 clutch replacement videos and manuals, I cannot see spacers between the clutch and flywheel, so I think the garage are barking up the wrong tree.
Also, and I an not sure if this is a problem or not, the whole set is very whiny, I’m not sure if that’s just the way it is with 126 engine and gearboxes, but it may be a smoking gun as to the problem. Any advice any one has would be greatly appreciated, tearing my hair out with this one, and not prepared to give it back to the garage until I have a proper solution.

Hi
I am not sure what they mean by spacers - its not something I have seen.
If its clutch related then you would have more of a problem on all gears and find you are crunching the gears on every change.

I suspect its linkage/selectors.
I would first of all check the gear stick position.
On the right hand side of the tunnel you will find 2 x 13mm bolts.
If you slacken these you can move the gear stick system backwards/forwards.
Maybe the linkage is slightly in the wrong place?
Check the joints between the gear shift and the selector shaft going into the back of the gear box for any play. Either the bolts are worn or the rubber linkage is worn?
Failing that I can only suspect worn internal parts which could mean a strip down of the box to find out whats wrong.
Could be as simple as the springs/ball bearings on the side that operate the selectors, or could be worn selectors, synchros or bearings.

Can you describe the problem in more detail?

I have NEVER seen spacers between the flywheel and the clutch---sounds like somebody was 'bodging' the 500! If a 126 engine + gearbox + the 126 clutch/release-bearing assembly has been used it sounds more like an adjustment problem. The gear selection can be adjusted by loosening the 2 bolts in the side of the central tunnel adjacent to the gear lever. These locate and secure the gear-lever 'box'. Normally if there is a gear selection problem than it is 1+3 OR 2+4+r. You move the selector box FORWARD to alter the selection adjustment of 1st + 3rd and BACK to alter the selection adjustment for 2nd + 4th+ Reverse. You only have to loosen the bolts and then tap them whichever way is required.
Also, check the gear selector 'lollipop'---this is the connector between the selector shaft coming out of the gearbox and the selector rod coming back from the gear lever. When you see it, you will understand why it is called the 'lollipop. Both ends of the 'lollipop are secured to the respective selector rods by 'shouldered' bolts which, even when the nut is tightened, allows vertical movement of the connector. Be careful though---I have found that on some of the 'pattern' connecting bolts the shoulder is too short and the bolt tightens up and locks the selector, rather than allowing it to move vertically.

Thanks both. I suspect that adjustment is the issue.For clarity, gear changes are not easy, and it literally gets stuck in 4th, such that you just cannot get it out of gear, the only way I can get it into neutral is by switching the engine off. I think the spacers are wrong so will remove them. I have seen the “lollipop” so know what you mean.
Regarding the whining, is that normal??

Gearbox and diff whine can be heard on the 500/126 transmissions,but not to the extent that it is intrusive. The rear hub bearings can also whine--get the free-play in your rear hubs checked and well as checking them for noise. Do you know what oil is in your gearbox/diff? the type/viscosity of oil can also have an effect on gearbox/diff noise.

I had a similar issue when I first picked up Valentina. Turned out to be the lollipop on the gearstick. Basically it was no longer whole and was jamming. Hopefully something similar for you!

Rob

Well Franko appears you were spot on. I had bought a recon fiat 126 gearbox to go with the 126 engine. Polski origin. We removed the box, stripped it and found the recesses on the 2nd 4th selector rod were shaped such that they held onto the ball bearings. We reshaped the recesses and this appears to have solved the issue. Not impressed with the quality of the engine or gearbox. Both have oil leaks too. Buyer beware if you are sourcing a new engine and gearbox. Perhaps get a unit refurbished in the uk.

Th

Back