My car for the day

Currently reading:
My car for the day

hmallett

Mr Pedantic
Car went into Fiat yesterday for a 24k service, so i got a courtesy car...

I've never had a courtesy car before, and I was expecting a Panda Active. I didn't get one. Instead I got a Grande Punto!

It was the 1.2 Dynamic and I'd love to say I think they're bloody fantastic! However... The first thing I noticed on getting in is that you have no idea where the end of the bonnet is, and the windscreen feels a long way away from you after the Panda! Also the rear view mirror seems to distort slightly. The wing mirrors are excellent though - a good size, and close to you, so you get a great field of view. I think this just goes to show that you get used to driving a car of a certain size. The GP felt quite big - bigger than Sammi's Bravo. All the controls in the GP are pretty much the same as the Panda, so I was on familiar ground. Pulling out of the dealer, the indicator noise struck me as being really annoying! I soon blanked that out though. I put a tenner in it and had plenty left after about 80 miles! However, the reason it's economical must be because it has no power or torque! Out on the open road at about 40mph, the traffic in front of me cleared, so I poked my foot down in fifth, and nothing happened! Even if you change down to third, and floor it progress is slow. It is smooth though! Round the corners I was amazed at how light and detached the steering feels. I didn't have the City button on, and there didn't seem to be any feedback!. The brakes and gearchange were very good though. I liked the interior too. I had a sand and black coloured one, which looked nice.

In town I fell foul of the lazy habit I've picked up with the Multijet, where you can let the clutch out before you need to push the accelerator if you are trickling along in traffic. It turns out that if you do this in the GP it stalls! :eek:

The GP might be alright with the more powerful engines, if the steering is better. I won't be trading the Panda in for one though. Got back in that and put my foot down on the way home and thought, "That's more like it" (y) Even accidentally wheelspun it out of a couple of junctions! :D

H

http://www.hmallett.co.uk/blog/cars/panda-24k-service.html
https://www.fiatforum.com/leisure-lounge/96765-my-car-day.html

The GP felt quite big - bigger than Sammi's Bravo.
I poked my foot down in fifth, and nothing happened! Even if you change down to third, and floor it progress is slow. I was amazed at how light and detached the steering feels.

i thought exactly the same thing when i drove a 1.4 activ sport. made my bravo feel like a tiny 2 seater sports car. the GP is bigger than a car in its class should be (same as half the cars in this class now) and surely a car that big needs more power to be safe. either that or you have to forget about overtaking and make sure there's a big gap when you pull out. the steering was far too light for my liking, there should be a sport button to reduce assistance instead of the city button.

the steering was far too light for my liking, there should be a sport button to reduce assistance instead of the city button.
I tried pushing the City button while manoevring in work's car park - it felt exactly the same! :p
H

I've had the 1.2 GP twice now and it is certainly lacking in power heh, theyre not bad but when you drop the 1.9 in and come out with a 1.2 it is a bit of a kick in the teeth :eek:

The GP does deffinately need more than 67bhp or whatever it is that the newer 1.2 produces, but i guess its just there as the cheap option. I dread to think how the 1 litre 12v engine in the new corsa copes :rolleyes:

Things I forgot to mention:
The rear door handle needed a good tug to get it to open
The stereo wasn't great - it sounded like the left speaker was too quiet - yes I checked the balance!
The was a bolt in the glovebox - no idea where it came from!

Bob, you've had the GO 1.2 twice, and the Panda once - care to comment on why you've had a courtesy car 3 times already? :p
H

Do you have to pay for a courtesy car? I will be dropping the HGT in to get the variator done soon and i need to get to work afterwords so i was hoping to get a courtesy pande/grande.

you are joking they ar eputting that 3cyl thing in the new corsas!!!!?

the 1.2 16v in the corsa c isn't exactly quick (same as mk2 8v mpi punto's ish).

nope the 1.2 8v in the grande is damn right dangerous, 60mph takes about 20sec's, and over 70 it doesn't go.

anything under 60mph, want to move or even hold the same speed in a headwind, that'll be down to 3rd (n)

its just too big and too heavy.

although build quality is far better than mk2, and even mk1. just feels chunky and made of something sturner.

also agree with you on the steering, but then, a lot of small modern cars have no feedback. I've nearly come acropa in the volvos quite a few times, i.e turn in, and oh shhttt, just wobbles out of the grooove and your wrestling for control again.

this is making this post long but....

saw a woman (I think) picking up a brand new yaris, drove out of the dealer and nearly span it, then proceeded round every roundabout in washington and southwick. on every one you could see the traction control or whatever wrestling the car back into shape. she nearly crashed so many times

Back