General My bravo

Currently reading:
General My bravo

just got a 1.8 hlx a week ago, now it seems dead slow. i have been told that the gasket has gone but there inst any cream or gunk in the oil, which make me think its now that. The other problem is that i filled up my coolent yeaterday and looked at it 2day and its all gone, well mostly gone. any one had any problems like this????

just got a 1.8 hlx a week ago, now it seems dead slow. i have been told that the gasket has gone but there inst any cream or gunk in the oil, which make me think its now that. The other problem is that i filled up my coolent yeaterday and looked at it 2day and its all gone, well mostly gone. any one had any problems like this????

That's probably because the gasket has failed cylinder-to-coolant rather than cylinder-to-oilway.

do a compression check

:yeahthat:

if you bought from a garage or trader then you may be able to get all or some of your money back.

while the legal issue helps, i find it is usually more useful if you let the seller know that the money they made on the car is nothing compared to the cost of pissing you off.

dont be scared to give them a mouthful of abuse face to face, and dont be afraid to follow up on your threats. if you've been ripped off by someone, they dont give a toss about you, so they deserve the same treatment, with interest.

i brought it off an old friend from back when i was at shool. he always looked after his cars, so i think its my fault and not his :( gunna leave some paper under it to night and see if it leaking anywear. if the gasket has gone, what would be my best option, get it fixed or have new motor put in??

fill the cooling system and then run the engine for 5 mins to see if any water leaks out (leaks are much easier to find once pressure is created in cooling system). you'll see the drips on the floor (if the floor is dry when you do this).

if the head gasket has gone, the best thing to do is rip the head off, get it skimmed, and then refit the head using a new head gakset kit. if you can do the labour yourself it wont cost much to get the head skimmed somewhere (£20-40) and buy a head gasket kit (£30-50).

if you cant do it yourself, then ring aroung all the local independant garages near you, i'm sure you'll find someone who will do it for £200, plus you then have warranty on the work, and a nice receipt for your document wallet.

changing an engine purely due to head gasket failure is not neccessary or wise. it will end up costing you more, and you never know what you're buying, and you have the milage discrepency issue whenever an engine is changed, so it devalues the car, costing you even more in the long run.

Last night i noticed that there was acouple of drips of oil on my drive, it looks like its been dripping from my sump plug, that would explain the oil level getting low. could having low oil level affect the level of the coolent in any way???

WOOOOOOT, found out that my gasket aint gone and iam lossing coolent fluid from the main radiator hose when the pressure builds up and the oil from a damaged sump plug, gunna save me some money :)

Now i gunna spend the money on a new induction kit, i currently got a K&N and gunna get a Pipecross kit on it, looking at the one for the HGT as there the same fittings. Or would anyone recommend anything others.

why bother spending the money on a pipercross when you already have a K&N, I had one on my old HLX and it sounded brill (the K&N)

Good news about the HG not being fecked though:)

pipercross do viper kits, which are enclosed kits like the BMC CDAs. that could give you a pube more of a gain compared to an open K&N if the intake is positioned correctly, but it wont sound as good.

if you're suggesting a conventional pipercross with the black foam filter element, i'd rather set fire to my pubes. foam does not do a good job of filtering. i used to do motoX in the desert and anyone who had a foam airfilter would soon find out the hard way just how crap foam is.

ok lol i will forget that idea then, i aint bother about the sound, iam more bothered about the performance. so what would you peeps say would give me the most increase??? also can the 1.8 16 have an ecu remap and what increase would that give me???? thanks

Back