General My b bumped

Currently reading:
General My b bumped

AAArrrghhh!

Today I've had to spend the morning working with the worst software ever written, the afternoon been the subject of in internal audit and now I've got home and some arse has hit my car while it was parked up on the street.

We have a gang of german builders with a big white van staying in the house opposite and I'm fairly sure it must have been them. They deny all knowledge and also deny being able to speak english. To be fair looking at the size of the van I think they could easily have done it without even realising.

I have a scrape across the rear wing and the peice of bumper that flares out at the edge over the back wheel broken off and 3 rubber things have fallen off - I guess these are what holds the bumper on??

Tomorrow I've been advised to report it to my local police station and I'll have to ring the insurance and garage once I've checked my excess. Can any of you guys who've had rear bumpers replaced give me an idea of what this might cost? I think they will also have to respray the wing.

Any advice appreciated.
xs

i'm going to check other threads but if anyone sees this can you let me know urgently how much i should expect to pay for repair/replacement of rear bumper Mk2, and respray of back wing? Mike has come home and found evidence under the car that it was the german builders van. we are going to confront them in the morning if we can. it may be that they have no insurance in which case i'd like an idea of amount in cash to ask for.
thanks
xs

Hi KC
From looking at the threads I think it can probably be plastic welded. Not sure about respraying and if just the damage can be done or if the whole wing and bumper will need doing. I'm not going to be able to sleep for worrying about confronting these guys tomorrow. I think they will just say they don't understand english but mike is hopping mad.
xs

Hi Shelxs. Sorry to hear about your Bee being bumped (n)

If these fellas are playing dumb and you have evidence that they did it then I'd certinly take it up with the police and let them deal with it at the earliest opportunity.

If you want to give them a chance to cough up for the repair without going to the police them maybe a letter translated into German via Yahoo translator (found it good enough to buy things rom ebay.de) or maybe one of the other members here would be willing to translate something for you.

I had my bumper repaired using fibreglass a few months ago and upto now seems to be holding up to general driving. Sorry can offer no advice on cost in the UK. full respray and rear bumper repair here only cost me about £400 (but it's an awfull long way to drive)

Hope you manage to get it sorted out without too much hassle

Good luck

hi all
we stopped them before they left for work and mike was pretty stroppy with them which added to the fact that we had wheel nut covers from their van that we foiund under my car meant that they no longer seem to be denying it.

I gave them a note translated into german by babelfish saying, we need your insurance details or the money for the repair work. they say they are going to call in at around 6 after work. I've also rung the holiday cottage owners who can supply me with details of the german company that they work for if they decide to do a runner!

Will keep you posted.
xs

What a nightmare. It's just such a pain when things like this happen. And so unnecessary - if people were just a little more honest and a little nicer, the world would be a happier place! I've just spend a week on a canal boat and everyone who either owns or rents one seems so nice and helpful and willing to help each other out - it really restores your faith in human nature, if briefly!

Hmm . . . well it wasn't really a 'little' boat . . . :)

DSCF1648.JPG

Hi Shelxs,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune!

I speak German, so if you end up having to deal with their insurance company and want to write to them in German, I'd be happy to translate your letter for you.

Regards
Giorgio

thanks georgio
we've now agreed that i'll get a quote for repairs from my garage on monday and they will pay cash. although i think that may depend on how much it is! i've now noticed that there is a slight dent in the wing so it may be more than i thought.
xs

hi sb, yes it does seem to be a bit relentless at the moment! I just took the b back to the garage that fitted the exhaust because (i thought) it was squeeking, they adjusted it a bit but then it started to squeek again on the way home but this time mike heard it and instantly said, thats not the exhaust thats your brake discs - :( so when i take to to the garage on monday for them to estimate how much the repairs will cost i also need to ask them to do the brakes - lol, you have to laugh!
it hasn't turned me against the car because really it is all things coming at once that could happen to any car, its not my poor bs fault.
xs

...or chamfer the edges of the brake pads.
someone else has mentioned that to me but they told me at my service that brake pads were on the way out so i assumed it was just that they had worn out. i think it is only one wheel but it is making a heck of a noise! it sounds like a demented canary with a megaphone - i'll be getting lots of looks on my way to nottingham tomorrow!

the thing i am worried about with the repairs is the dent in the back wing. It has pushed in the metal in a circle that includes a bit of the end of the raised strip down the side of the car. I think i remember reading somewhere that they are double skinned and so it is not so easy just to roll out the metal and as it includes the strip maybe not so easy anyway.

Lets just hope the builders will pay up when i get the quote!

xs

Back