Technical my 500 drove away from me!!

Currently reading:
Technical my 500 drove away from me!!

Road Traffic Act offence of ‘quitting’ which is when a person leaves their vehicle’s engine running while they are not in it.
Negligent use of a motor vehicle - Prosecutable

The offence is against S42 of the RTA 1988.

Quitting is dealt with by Regulation 107(1) of The Road Vehicles (Constriction and Use) Regulation 1986 (SI 1986/1078 )

Regulation 107(2)(a). This states that no person shall cause or permit to be on any road any motor vehicle which is not attended by a person duly licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and the parking brake is effectively set.

Road Traffic Act offence of ‘quitting’ which is when a person leaves their vehicle’s engine running while they are not in it.
Negligent use of a motor vehicle - Prosecutable

The offence is against S42 of the RTA 1988.

Quitting is dealt with by Regulation 107(1) of The Road Vehicles (Constriction and Use) Regulation 1986 (SI 1986/1078 )

Regulation 107(2)(a). This states that no person shall cause or permit to be on any road any motor vehicle which is not attended by a person duly licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and the parking brake is effectively set.
Very good point but beware the backlash of "But he/she was only coming here for information, you're a horrible human being and you're just jealous because your Panda isn't in drag" etc etc

Last edited:
No, what you posted was fine, it was the sarcasm from some people that I was talking about. Factual information that might come in useful is fine, being sarcastic and saying nothing but 'you've started a legendary thread' is pointless and uncalled for.

No it shouldn't.
If the car was easy to stall then you get 100 times the amount of people complaing the car stalls too easily.
BSM would have been less likely to place the massive order if they thought the car was difficult to drive.

A car that is difficult to stall is easier to drive and something you want.
Do you really want a car that is easy to stall if you have the choice?

Wow...I must be a rubbish driver, I'm always stalling mine!! Only had it a couple of weeks though, still getting used to it!

Hi,
I am looking for some technical information as to why my car managed to drive away from me when i left it in first gear (and forgot), leaned in to start my engine whilst i de-iced, not only did it jerk forward like past cars have done and stalled, but my 500 didnt stall it carried on driving, leaving me watching it drive accross the street towards my neighbours drive!!
I know it is a silly thing for me to do and I am paying for it now with a few suspected broken toes and a scratch on my car door.
But i was just wondering how my car manged to actually do this??

sorry to get back on topic, if the 500 has a short first gear it'd be very easy to start in first, you can drive on the starter easily in most cars, though it's not good for them, which is part of the reason apparently why some cars require foot on clutch to start as they get driven on starter pre delivery. It only needs to get up to about 700rpm at least or just bit more to "catch" and then go, which would be about 5mph max? If the handbrake wasn't on it'd be very easy to do.

As for warming up, i Set my heater to cold, start the engine, sort out windows and seatbelts etc, so idles for 2mins or so in summer then drive off gently and only put heat out the heater once the needle moves off the rest on the gauge at about 50 degrees though if i'm in a hurry in winter will allow 1min without heater before switching to half heat to speed up the clearing of windscreen. Oil pressure is always good to watch along with oil temp. don't forget the oil warms up slower than the coolant.

Back