Technical my 500 drove away from me!!

Currently reading:
Technical my 500 drove away from me!!

Tsk!

(by the way, in our house, the only person to have had any accidents and scrapes is my husband!)
Was the same in our household until January when the wife had a fender bender. But I think you're right, women generally have "silly" little accidents where people get out and scratch their heads as to why it happened and then men have accidents where they're getting scraped off the road :p

My husband almost wrote off his puma; and last week he scraped the door and back wing by the wheels arch of his civic on a pillar in the work car park - he drives into that space every day and lord knows why he didn't stop when he felt it scraping! £200 to ChipsAway yesterday, his money, not mine. In almost 20 years of driving I've yet to have a single scrape or bump .... famous last words eh?!

May I ask why Maxi? Im not too sure why you think this? Surely its better to let the car start warming up gently while your de-icing then to drive straight off from when its cold?
When the car idles it doesn't warm up quickly and hence is operating for longer cold. If you just get in and drive off the car warms up far quicker. Of course you shouldn't redline it when it's cold, but it does warm up the engine quicker and results in less wear.

This is just the first link I found but there are about a million sites which agree that idling your engine to warm it up just wears the engine more and wastes fuel. Just remember that things like suspension, bearings in the drivetrain will only warm up when the car is moving.

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/myths/idling.html

I always leave the engine running and the heater full blast on the windscreen whilst scraping the ice off the car, I also leave the windscreen until last so that by the time I get to it there's a better chance of it staying clear. It's only a couple of minutes and as long as the oil pressure has come up (i.e. the light has gone out) it's not going to do the engine any harm at all.

If you're going to keep the car a long long time then you're going to have to do an engine rebuild at some point anyway, if that's at 150,000 miles rather than 200,000 it's not going to make a massive difference. If you're not going to keep the car that long then it'll make no difference at all.

I always leave the engine running and the heater full blast on the windscreen whilst scraping the ice off the car, I also leave the windscreen until last so that by the time I get to it there's a better chance of it staying clear. It's only a couple of minutes and as long as the oil pressure has come up (i.e. the light has gone out) it's not going to do the engine any harm at all.

If you're going to keep the car a long long time then you're going to have to do an engine rebuild at some point anyway, if that's at 150,000 miles rather than 200,000 it's not going to make a massive difference. If you're not going to keep the car that long then it'll make no difference at all.

as do 95% of the population (y)

The thing is that by the time the engine's actually got up to temp for the heater to work you've probably already scraped the car fully.

You're completely wrong to say it's not going to do the engine harm. Cold running wears the engine more and more wear is more harm!

Here's a nice detailed summary of some of the reasons you shouldn't do it
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2007/09/27/2156431.htm
This guy is intelligent and knows what he's on about.....
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Kruszelnicki[/ame]

The thing is that by the time the engine's actually got up to temp for the heater to work you've probably already scraped the car fully.

You're completely wrong to say it's not going to do the engine harm. Cold running wears the engine more and more wear is more harm!

Here's a nice detailed summary of some of the reasons you shouldn't do it
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2007/09/27/2156431.htm
This guy is intelligent and knows what he's on about.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Kruszelnicki

I see what your getting at, but as I drive a car with a turbo, the oil needs to come gently up to temperature. I can feel the difference in the car if I drive straight off, its stiffer and more difficult to drive. That can't be a good thing.

Were not talking about idling for 10-15mins, its more like 2 or 3. I can drive around 7-8 miles in traffic before the engine gets any where near warm. Which is worse?

I see what your getting at, but as I drive a car with a turbo, the oil needs to come gently up to temperature. I can feel the difference in the car if I drive straight off, its stiffer and more difficult to drive. That can't be a good thing.

Were not talking about idling for 10-15mins, its more like 2 or 3. I can drive around 7-8 miles in traffic before the engine gets any where near warm. Which is worse?
Well with turbo engines the advice is always to keep them off the turbo till the engine is warmed up. All you're doing is wearing the engine for longer whilst you're standing still rather than wearing it less whilst just driving it gently. Modern turbo's are very robust items and whilst you need to obviously take care not to spin them up when the car is cold and not to stop your car 2 seconds after pulling off the motorway when the turbo is spinning at a billion RPM, you don't really need to worry about it that much.

I'm a mechanically sympathetic person so the idea of idling my car is just not something I'd ever do regardless of whether I'm getting rid in a few years time.

P.S your car will be a helluva lot warmer after 2 miles driving than after 2 minutes of idling.

The point here is that by the time I've scraped the car (about 2 minutes) the heater is blowing warm enough for my breath not to mist up the windscreen. :)

My other point being not many people actually keep a new car long enough for it to need an engine rebuild, so a small amount of additional engine wear will have no effect. If it comes to that how many cars actually reach a stage where an engine rebuild is needed, most are scrapped long before that point. My Triumph has just gone over 161,000 miles and is yet to have an engine rebuild (I have had two replacement cylinder heads though)... :eek:

Well with turbo engines the advice is always to keep them off the turbo till the engine is warmed up. All you're doing is wearing the engine for longer whilst you're standing still rather than wearing it less whilst just driving it gently. Modern turbo's are very robust items and whilst you need to obviously take care not to spin them up when the car is cold and not to stop your car 2 seconds after pulling off the motorway when the turbo is spinning at a billion RPM, you don't really need to worry about it that much.

I'm a mechanically sympathetic person so the idea of idling my car is just not something I'd ever do regardless of whether I'm getting rid in a few years time.

P.S your car will be a helluva lot warmer after 2 miles driving than after 2 minutes of idling.

Its impossible to keep a turbo diesel off the turbo (well mine anyway). It starts to spool at 1300rpm, driving below this is a waste of time. I used to work for one of the largest turbo manufacturers in the world, so have an idea about whats going on ;) Have a look here

http://www.holset.co.uk/mainsite/files/4_3_5-operating procedures.php

You can't say that idling any car for 2-3mins is bad. You may reduce wear on certain parts, but reduce the life of others.

The point here is that by the time I've scraped the car (about 2 minutes) the heater is blowing warm enough for my breath not to mist up the windscreen. :)

My other point being not many people actually keep a new car long enough for it to need an engine rebuild, so a small amount of additional engine wear will have no effect. If it comes to that how many cars actually reach a stage where an engine rebuild is needed, most are scrapped long before that point. My Triumph has just gone over 161,000 miles and is yet to have an engine rebuild (I have had two replacement cylinder heads though)... :eek:
Well my dads 504 has done around the same mileage and has never had the rocker cover off let alone the head. But that was from when French cars were well built and British ones weren't so well built.... there are French cars around from about that age which have done double that without needing a rebuild :)

Last edited:
Its impossible to keep a turbo diesel off the turbo (well mine anyway). It starts to spool at 1300rpm, driving below this is a waste of time. I used to work for one of the largest turbo manufacturers in the world, so have an idea about whats going on ;) Have a look here

http://www.holset.co.uk/mainsite/files/4_3_5-operating procedures.php

You can't say that idling any car for 2-3mins is bad. You may reduce wear on certain parts, but reduce the life of others.
I can perhaps understand it on a turdo diseasel tbh for the reasons you've mentioned but on a petrol engine it is wasteful and wears the engine more than it needs to be worn. No two ways about it. Personally I'd rather replace a turbo rather than do any work on the engine but it's six of one half a dozen of the other I guess :)

Back