General Fiat 500 1.2 petrol (2011) - "Insufficient oil pressure, stop car and check" message that alarms and then goes away instantly.

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 1.2 petrol (2011) - "Insufficient oil pressure, stop car and check" message that alarms and then goes away instantly.

Simply put!_ if its not showing on the dipstick! then theres not enough in sump for it to register you need to add SOME! if not confident just a little at a time until it shows then leave it to the garage to sort out!
Hello - I will do that tomorrow until I see it half way up the crossed part of the stick. 1L at a time.

Oil gets splashed on the dip stick when driving so gives a incorrect reading tests why you pull it cleaning and put back to correctly read the level.
I'm concerned why the level is so low, you need to not drive the car until more oil is added chuck a litre of 5w30 in regardless, generally the trusty old 1.2 doesn't use oil

Hello John....the car hasn't moved since I checked and posted those pictures yesterday. When I'd cleaned, inserted and checked yesterday there was hardly any oil on the stick but then when I pulled out to clean today it had oil on a lot of the stick. I cleaned it, inserted and removed and there's nothing. I apologise to everyone if I'm not making myself clear. The fact is, once cleaned and checked again I should see oil half way up the crossed section at the bottom of stick.

The 1.2 engine is not known for using oil and if yours was burning enough to drop the level below the dipstick you would be leaving a smoke screen like the navy would be proud off! if you had a leek big enough to drop the level that far it would be very evident under the car! so that leaves a pourous sump leaking little and often as the cars being driven( it would leak more when hot and everything expanded!) or there simply was not enough put into the car when it was serviced and possibly they used the wrong viscosity( to thin) which is being lost because of the previously mentioned reasons! has any one driven in another car behind the car to see if there is any evidence of burning oil?if its only burning a little it would not be visible in the mirrors whilst driving but might be visible from another car!.
think your best bet is to add the 1 ltr and see what happens after that!.

Hello all,

Just a quick update here.

I feel a little ashamed to have left this to the local garage but the "insufficient oil pressure" message just made me want them to check things out. Piece of mind having used the garage who only charged me 30mins labour!

It was simply down to low oil in fact, just less than 1L came out when they changed it. They did state it only takes 2.5L and as the car had been sat not doing much for a year before we bought and put 5k miles on inside 6mnths it could well just be normal. They have told me to keep checking the oil level every week then stagger to each month providing we're ok. It was getting worse as when I drove the car down the village today the message came on when I went round a mini-roundabout and when I turned around at the garage.

My daughter has nicely just arrived at work (30mins drive) and messaged to say all good. I suppose I need to remember we bought an old car that perhaps needs more TLC. I want to thank everyone for their time and advice this week as it certainly helped me not to worry too much as to what was wrong.

I'll post on here after the checks in the coming weeks. Have a great weekend everyone!

Johns right about the oil capacity its 2.8 ltrs without and 3.1 ltrs with a new filter! In summer months (March-September) I use 05/40w semi-synthetic and over winter October- March ( shorter journeys more cold starts and longer warm up times) I use 0w/30w semi -synthetic for less resistance on starting and quicker warm up and flow rate!
I would recommend adding checking the coolant levels when you check the oil!.

Hello both. I’ll take your words for it but just passing on what my wife was told when we collected the car. No dramas over the weekend but I’m yet to see the car since collection but will see tomorrow so will check the oil and report back. Cheers

Hello again,

Sorry for the delayed message here. I finally saw the car again at the weekend and checked the oil. Followed the three or four times check and all is well. Plenty of oil on the cross section of the stick. No more alarms/messages so feel we're all good now here.

Thanks once again for everyone's contributions to this thread!

Cheers, Paul.

Hello again,

Sorry for the delayed message here. I finally saw the car again at the weekend and checked the oil. Followed the three or four times check and all is well. Plenty of oil on the cross section of the stick. No more alarms/messages so feel we're all good now here.

Thanks once again for everyone's contributions to this thread!

Cheers, Paul.
ALL GOOD!

Back