CIMG3347.JPG

Stilo My 1.8....long awaited, picture rich. :) suggestions welcomed.

Introduction

This is my stilo, bought it about a year ago...the first hing i did, on the first day was install a car pc i bought off of Volxstu in bits, that is bullied into life lol. of course it was riddled with problems....the rest is pictorial....
enjoy...

on day 1 it was so....

i then added the pc bits but didnt take any pictures....i took some pictures later, there later on in the chronological ways

next i got the cam belt done, it was a lil overdue

i then got a SS exhaust from powerflow in hayes....

then i added the ICE in the boot...ive got a vibe space box 4 channel amp and a JBL 14001e, an inverted vibe space with a box in the wheel well, and diamond audio HEX 600 6.5" in the fornt doors, no speakers in the back....yet

then the clutch gave in never seen anyhitng like this before....

OK, this should be an EPIC post....

I have successfully converted my Dayline headlights from halogen projectors with cheapo HID kit with re-based H1 bulbs to Hella Bi-xenon projectors from a Mercedes E55.

in the previous posts you can see how good they looked. but the problem i had was that the beam patter created was just a semi-circle with no real "pattern" it just projected light and was a bit naff really, and i didn't like having a halogen Full beam as it was sticking out like a sore thumb being yellow. so i embarked on this mission....it was way more effort than i initially anticipated...

i did one headlight quite slowly over the course of about a month, took ALLOT of trial and error to work out the correct way to do it. mainly because the old projectors are 2.5" and the new ones are 3" so a 3" peg in a 2.5" hole....not easy

Perhaps a little explanation for those that don't know. Normal Xenon systems have a Xenon dipped beam and switch to a standard Halogen for full beam and flashing function. This is because Xenons When flashed on and off severely reduces there life span (as there life is measure din turn on/off's not running time). Bi-xeon is a system by which a projector has its "shield" causing a clean cut-off (like a normal single xenon projector) but int he bi-xenon setup a portion of the shield moves out of the way causing a "full beam" beam pattern rather than a "dipped beam" pattern, thus negating the need to flash the xenon. normal systems are wired so that if the Xenon dipped beams are off the flash function is assumed by a normal halogen, but in mine because I normally have my dipped beams on, the flash function both turns on the xenon and flips the sheild...

This is the new E55 Bi-Xenon projectors made by Hella

In these you can see the shield that flips down

I dismantled the lights (as per decribed in previous DRL RHD conversion thread) basically usign a heat gun and screw drivers. i then removed the silver decorative shield. it needed to be cut away a bit to accomodate the new projectors.

Now you can see the probelm with size difference, left is the old single xenon projector, right is the hella Bi-xenon projector

You can see the original projector in situ in the headlam housing

These are the lugs that adjust the aim

This is the old projector witht he aiming lugs on the mounting ring

Mounting ring removed from projector

In order to mount the new projectors in the old housing i had to cut up the mounting ring and attach each corner seperatley, and cut the new projectors to accomodate them, pictures of this below...

Unfortunately, at this point my camera broke :( so the photos stopped for a bit, but the modding continued!
I proceeded to trim various bits of the housing to fit the new projectors.
Then the wiring had to be "figured out" because when the fog lights and full beams are on the dipped beams shut off, this would mean the shield is down but the xenon is off :(. and when i "flash" i need the dipped beam on and the shield to go up....so i installed a relay tripped by the full beam signal to power up the dipped beam, and a shotky diode to stop the reverse current from keeping it on full beam (had this problem, had to remedy with high-power fast diode)

annnyway, i re-assembled them and put them in, they worked niiiice
pitures below (new camera Casio fx-h100 brilliant slow-mos) this is with 6000k colour temperature HID's

This is the back that i had to hack out to make room for the bigger projectors, had to create a pouch from polythene, also put some silica gel packs inside to absorbe moisture

I decided a few weeks ago thet the 6000k HID's were too blue compared ot the DRLs so i got some 4300k's that arrived yesterday so i swapped them over today, much better....btw the new kit is 55w kit on normal 35w kit, i wanted the most power output i could get now that the beam pattern is good...

6000k left, 4300k right

6000k up close

4300k up close

finish shot

and breath.....all this was written whilst rushign for NYE celebrations, ill get some pics of beam patterns for you later on, all comments welcoms.

Happy new year all!!!

Time for an update, realised my ICE hadnt been up-to date for ages!
anyways, here goes...

one of the outside just after a good scrub and a lick of dodo juice...
CIMG4534.JPG

This is what site in my boot (slight changes from before)
CIMG4499.JPG

CIMG4501.JPG

CIMG4502.JPG

(they're actually taken before i washed it, you can see how FILTHY it was by the colour change on the boot lip!) ^

This is what you see...
CIMG4506.JPG

Thats the brains...
CIMG4512.JPG

Everything open...
CIMG4514.JPG

The knob is for volume, push down to mute, push and twist to scroll...
CIMG4519.JPG

All closed up...
CIMG4522.JPG

Shiney...:cool:
CIMG4536.JPG

Soon to be added will be a DAC. ill be sending optical sound signal to the back from the PC to eliminate any noise (there is a tiny whine), then the DAC will convert it back to RCA to go to the amps...thus leaving provisions for an optical amp in the future :yum:

general thoughts? and what should come next???

Last edited:
Got me some schumi wheels yesterday!

delivered by a friend from bradford at 11pm, then at 6am next mornign i set off to BJV engineering BEFORE work (which is in east london), was a mini marathon lol

These are the wheels before:
CIMG4555.JPG

This is the only one that was bad, two more had minor scrapes, one was perfect:
CIMG4557.JPG

apparently the previous owner slid into a kurb in the ice....ah well his antics will soon be covered up thanks to BJV engineering...going to collect them wednesday 6am again....

The guy who i bought it off of said it never vibrated and held air...i also checked when i got them if it "rolled" nicely, and that seemed fine. visually, the geometry of the wheel is straight a true....and it had a nice resounding "dong" to it when struck, which hints at no fractures/cracks.....

besides that, when i was at BJV they said they would check it and phone me if it was anything except cosmetic damage. i did make a point of stressing that the damaged wheel be properly checked/repaired....i dont fancy any problems in the future...

I bought a spare alloy a few months ago. Was only £20 so I bought it to replace one of mine that was flaking. Looked perfect, not a mark on it. Took it to the tyre fitter to change the tyre. He spun it on the balancer before fitting the tyre, about a quarter of the rim was bowed. :mad:

did someone say Bi-xenon DRL headlights with merc e55 bi-xenon Projectors...:cool:

it is done....TOO much effort...pics soon to follow...unfortunatley camera broke mid way through :(

Love what you've done to yours so far (Y) I've got a 1.8 stilo too.. it needs a new engine (n) damn water pump went a yr ago :bang: but its finally on the mend.. found a new engine for it after months of searching lol anyway you'll most likely be hearing from me loads from now on as i'll be copying loads of your ideas lol quick question.. after doing all that work to your headlamps, would it not have been easier to mod the original lamps? also why are you using the merc projectors? Was it a case of what you could get your hands on or are they the best ones out?

Thanks, now what do do next.....if only HDNL hadnt LOST my schui bumper :mad:, thatd be on there now....with some projectors in the grills :rolleyes:

150 quid in classifieds..

www fiatforum com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=24787&cat=68

id have it up in a second.....if wasnt going to sell mine in feb ;)

Going via natural progression...getting an alfa GT :D

btw to those that are reading, the lights will be coming out and will be auctioned off...they are the only set. same for the schui wheels, still in mint condition.

The car will go on autotrader.

I should really update my pics....the car now had bi-xenon fog lights in the lower grills, and a full cream leather interior :D

Thanks for the kind words

ill get some snaps and add to the thread soonish :)

Where will you be auctioning your lights off? Am i right in saying they are the chrome ones?

They will be put up in classified, and on ebay.

they were originally the chrome ones from dectane in Germany, but have been extensively modified so they now have bi-xenons in with a level beam cut-off. instead of the original halogen projector, with a lhd cut-off.

They are unique. i don't think there are another set in the UK, due to the extensive work required to make them pass MOT.

many people have pm'd me with the view to do what i did. but none of them have tried, due to the amount of work involved.

Ill put up a proper description of what they are in due course.

Back