Technical Multipla wheels

Currently reading:
Technical Multipla wheels

Hi all,
Does anyone know which wheels fit a Multipla, ie, Stylo, Punto, Doblo etc, i have alloys on at the moment, with low profile tyres, but the ride is awful when going over bumps, or down a pothole, so bad in fact, that last week it resulted in a broken spring on the front, so my idea is to but ordinary steel wheels on, with normal tyres.
Phil D.

The 17” that were optional on later Multiplas look great but give a punishing ride and get buckled easily. If you’ve got those, the simple suggestion is to fit some 15”” or 16” rims. If you’re already on the smaller ones and you find the ride overly hard, then you have fewer options. From what I remember of a discussion on here many years ago, 14” rims haven’t got enough clearance for the brakes.

I checked last night, and they are 17 inch wheels, but I'm not sure changing to smaller rims will solve the problem, i needed 2 new tyres after my recent MOT and i spoke to the guy at my local tyre place, he said the problem was the tyre profile, and i couldn't but bigger profile tyres on these wheels, as it could affect the abs ? he suggested the best option would be to ditch the alloys and fit steel wheels and bigger profile tyres.

Higher profile tyres won’t fit the 17” rims anyway - they’ll foul either/both the wheel arch liners and/or the wings on full lock or rebound.

Fitting a set of 15” wheels will give you the room to fit higher profile tyres. That will make a BIG difference to the ride quality, compared to the 17”.

Rim diameter = wheel diameter.

Photo of Standard multipla wheel and tyre size.
Pretty much any 15 inch fiat car wheel of the same era will fit.
20210227_143343.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for your input Widemouthfrog, but it doesn't help me find out which wheels off which other Fiat cars will fit mine, any advice/information would be much appreciated.

Hi

Any wheel from Bravo-a or Marea ( multi was based on these.. )

Punto mk1 and 2/b

Stilo possibly

NOT the 2006 on GrandePunto.. as they use Vauxhall spec 4 x 98PCD :eek:

YOU NEED 4 x 98 PCD ;) standard FIAT

But.. most steels were 14 inch

Stilo was a bigger user of 15 inch
IDEA MPV too maybe..?

Last edited:
Worth doing a search on E-bay for 'fiat multipla breaking'
there are several on there, all selling bits from early and later models. See some with alloys, (same pattern as on my nosejobby, 15" alloys, with 195/60/15 tyres) and one with steel ones as well. Might be worth chasing up to see what they cost, and whereabouts you are if collecting possible..

PS Punto MK2B wheels are 14" on most models, (sport 'might' be 15) daughter has a 53plate 2b active, and it's steel 14's as was her previous mk1

Offset is the other important thing to look for. For the Multipla, it needs to be around 28-31mm. You can stray maybe 5mm to either side of those figures before you need to be concerned about fouling. Don't assume that any 15" wheel from other Fiats of the period will fit - that's not always true.

The centre bore is 58.1mm and as varesecrazy mentioned, the bolt pattern is 4x98. Those figures are pretty typical of all Fiats and Alfas of the time.

There's a German company on ebay that sell both 15" and 16" steel wheels with suitable rim width and offset. I think the 16" are sold for the Doblo? I'm not sure 16" were ever a standard fit size for the Multi. Not in the UK, anyway. 6.5" rim width (6.5J) is safe; 7.0" (7J) will be ok; at 7.5" and over, you need to be more fussy about the offset figure and the overall width and profile of the tyre.

Just a quick update, i have struck a deal with a scrap yard not far from me, a straight swap, my 4 alloys for 4 Multipla steel wheels, with decent tyres :) i'll let you know if it makes a difference. But as a side note, my clutch stopped working yesterday, just dropping it off at my local garage, for them to check (n)

Ok,
Another update (I swear this car is plotting against me !) the garage said the slave cylinder was leaking, so he replaced it, still can't get gears properly, so a new clutch it is, £600 with a new DMF ! I did get the wheels swapped at the scrap yard I mentioned yesterday, but he only went and stripped one of the wheel bolts !!! but the ride is now 200% better than with the alloys, so I'm classing that as a partial victory :worship:

Hi,
Another update, manage to tap out the thread on the wheel, fitted new wheel bolt, all fine and dandy, now my bloody DAB radio (that i fitted last year) has stopped working, lost all the stored stations ??? and wont/can't retune, it says no signal ??? i will have to check the connections, when it comes back from having the clutch sorted tomorrow, i dropped it off today, and the mechanic said "it will be done by tomorrow" i said don't count your chickens, this car has a mind of it's own! something will conspire to thwart you, mark my words, so i wait and see.....

Ok,
Everything done and dusted, new clutch fitted and working £400 they tested the fly wheel for tolerance, it was ok, so just changed the clutch, along with the new wheels, the difference is incredible, it's so good to drive now, and the radio problem (loss of signal) the DAB aerial is missing ??? a new one on the way.

We are trying to decide which Multipa to get rid of still after several years of having our MK1 parked up. MK 1 is going to win.

A while back swapped wheels on multis as MK2 was very harsh as reported below.
MK2 has 205/45ZR17 88v xl and only run at low pressure. Factory ones - pretty in my eye
MK1 has 196/60/R15 with standard alloy.

Absolute bliss on 15 inch wheels and tyres. Transformed from bone shaker to normal multipla ride, which with wide stance is pretty good and deals with pots holes. Dog has stopped being sick as well.

Just thought I would just back up the finding below.

I wonder if there is a better tyre spec of 17 inch that would help. I think it will be for next owner to look on MK2 though.

Wisdom from forum seems to be 15 inch steel wheels actually best performance.

The standard 15" alloys are very heavy. There are better after-market choices available (at 15"), but most will need to have wobble bolts and spigot rings as they tend to be 4x100 bolt pattern.

Is it worth the hassle? Probably not. Decent quality tyres and well balanced un-buckled wheels would probably be the best way forward.

I run a Multipla 1.9D on Bravo 17" wheels with 225/45 17 and find the ride acceptable.

vincey832
Re: Multipla wheels
I run a Multipla 1.9D on Bravo 17" wheels with 225/45 17 and find the ride acceptable.

Vincey - what make of tyres and ratings - what pressure do you run at ?

Back