Technical Multipla jtd with starting problem

Currently reading:
Technical Multipla jtd with starting problem

brimasta

Hello all, my 51 plate multipla will not start unless it is bumped or given a wiff of easy start.......three plugs are working well and the battery is in good condition. the glow plug relay is working and there is diesel at the injectors. key in, wait for light to go out, clutch down and turn it over and over and over and over and so on. nothing. If we bump it, it starts within 10 feet and runs very nicely. I have cleaned the EGR and now I'm scratching my head. :bang: Yesterday, I gave it a start with some easy start, just to see how easy it went and it started lovely. when it has been running for a few minutes, you can switch it of.... if you start her up again straight away, she will start in less than a full turn but if you wait no more than a minute, she will take several turns and if you leave it to start cooling, she wont start at all.....Somebody must know what the problem is. please help.

Sounds like the crank sensor mate. ECU doesn't know when to squirt diesel. The waiting thing is probably a red herring as diesels are such high compression it's firing easily off the heat.

Last edited:
Sounds like the crank sensor mate. ECU doesn't know when to squirt diesel. The waiting thing is probably a red herring as diesels are such high compression it's firing easily off the heat.
thanks matey, just out of interest though, if it was the crank sensor, would it run so well after having gotten it started?

Yes, it would run as if there was no problem. Try not to use easy-start though, it's not good for engines at all.
Thanks you lot, I'm not quite sure that I understand why it would run nice with a knackered crank sensor but the the heads up is very much appreciated. as for the easy start, we just used it once to see if it would go. kinda trying to brainstorm the problem and eliminated different things. thanks for help.

Back