Technical Multipla Front brake pad types?

Currently reading:
Technical Multipla Front brake pad types?

I decided it was high time to repalce my discs and pads as discs have done 103k on a JTD.
Thought I'd found a bargain on e-bay at Planet Car Parts where a set of fronr discs and pads were listed at £54.90 including delivery (e-bay item no. 270681172193).
Description stated these were for Bosch calipers which I have.
On delivery the discs were fine but the pads were different. The lugs (ears) on each side were narrower and there was not a retaining clip on the back of one of each pair of pads. On further inspection of Planet Car Parts website the ATE pads look like mine (e-bay part number 280077159347) and this kit is less at £52.90.
Now they don't look as cheap with return postage of £8 and Planet charging £5 for redelivery.
I don't want to incur further postage by getting the wrong ones again and obviously want the right pads.
Has anyone else come across problems with repacement pad types for Bosch calipers?

I had the same problem as you! Bought a new set of discs and pads from A2Z on ebay, having first looked at my calipers and seen 'Bosch' cast into them, so paid the extra and bought the Bosch pads. Sorted. Or so I thought.....

When my calipers came back from refurb (Bigg Red did a good job) I could see that the caliper castings have both 'Bosch' and 'ate' cast into them. Sure enough, tried the pads and found that it was the 'ate' type that I actually needed. They are the only two patterns of pads on the Multipla.

BTW, check the wear pattern on your old pads. If (like mine) one pad is worn a lot more than the other, the fault probably lies as much with the caliper as the discs/pads. Now they're all sorted and back together, braking feels miles better.

Many thanks for the info.
I've reported back to Planet Parts to say that it really isn't as clear cut as 'ATE' or 'Bosch' type callipers, certainly with regards to Bosch callipers and am awaiting their response. The key to identification, apart from the bigger lugs, apperas to be the retaining clip fixed onto the 'ATE' type and not the 'Bosch' type.
Also thanks for the tip of inspecting each pad for equivalent wear. I'll certainly check this.................when I get a set of pads!
My regards

You'll get a pretty good idea of what the pads will be like by looking at the inner and outer faces of the discs.

BTW, these are my (ATE) calipers after they had been refurbed. Note the confusing markings!:

IMG_4827.jpg

Crikey!
I can read Bosch but can't even see ATE!
Anybody would surely think these were Bosch.
I'm sure your right asserting they are ATE but why are they stamped Bosch?
I'm assuming your replacement pads had retaining clips on the rear face (well one for each pair)?
Also I should state that Planet Parts have agreed to send replacement pads post free so they are honouring the confusion.

'Ate' is the freehand script text on the far side of the numbers next to 'BOSCH'.

I bought the Bosch pads because it says Bosch on them. They didn't fit. I left it to the guy fitting them to get the Ate ones.

I decided it was high time to repalce my discs and pads as discs have done 103k on a JTD.
Thought I'd found a bargain on e-bay at Planet Car Parts where a set of fronr discs and pads were listed at £54.90 including delivery (e-bay item no. 270681172193).
Description stated these were for Bosch calipers which I have.
On delivery the discs were fine but the pads were different. The lugs (ears) on each side were narrower and there was not a retaining clip on the back of one of each pair of pads. On further inspection of Planet Car Parts website the ATE pads look like mine (e-bay part number 280077159347) and this kit is less at £52.90.
Now they don't look as cheap with return postage of £8 and Planet charging £5 for redelivery.
I don't want to incur further postage by getting the wrong ones again and obviously want the right pads.
Has anyone else come across problems with repacement pad types for Bosch calipers?
ate pads have micky mouse ears on them and bosch ones dont. it is so easy to see just looking through the wheel.

I've just replaced my front disc and pads. I got mine through DA Motors and paid extra for the Bosch pads, only to find out they were the wrong ones!! Was in a huge rush by then so bit the bullet and paid £58 for genuine FIAT pads from my dealer. A lesson learnt the hard way, even DA Motors seem unaware that they are very easily confused.

Back