General Mrk1 UT Gets Attacked.................

Currently reading:
General Mrk1 UT Gets Attacked.................

Muzzie

By a paint can! Heheheh

Whatcha think?

Notice anything different?? :D

unofrontnewbumper3dr.jpg

unobacknewbumper5hi.jpg

Next on the agenda are tints (to help keep it a bit cooler inside) and some lowering springs.

No, Uno_94, this time I'm definitely with Muzzie on this one! :)

That looks really distinctive, tidy, and sharp, particularly with that (horrible IMHO!) grille, there's nothing else on the road like it! I think you've done well. I think you were right to do the 'thin black line' look to the bumpers - it looks more modern.

Have you thought about getting some Turbo flares for the wheelarches, and painting those (and the sill covers) in body colour as well? I reckon that'd look great on your car with the bumpers the way you've done them.

EDIT: I fear I might get flamed for saying that in my opinion, the grille is horrible... so I thought I'd add some justification. I don't think it looks as 'clean' as the standard grille, particularly when you consider that with those two large round lights, you now have more than the NZ legal maximum of four headlights!

If the inner rectangular headlights were replaced with the round lights, and the outer rectangular lights also replaced with (smaller) round lights (Mercedes-style), I think that would look a little nicer :) But that's just my opinion.

Cheers,
-Alex

Last edited:
uno_94 said:
hmmmmmm you missed a bit :p how come you did the bumpers like that? all uno owners know that they look best painted below the line ;)

Thats what Alex said originally when I suggested it, he's changed his tune now hehehe. And the bit I missed, I assume you're referring to the hatch? I was gonna do it but gonna be too hard to preapre and get it looking good, so I'll wait for the inevitable when someone runs into the back of it and have it sprayed then.

alexGS said:
No, Uno_94, this time I'm definitely with Muzzie on this one! :)

That looks really distinctive, tidy, and sharp, particularly with that (horrible IMHO!) grille, there's nothing else on the road like it! I think you've done well. I think you were right to do the 'thin black line' look to the bumpers - it looks more modern.

Have you thought about getting some Turbo flares for the wheelarches, and painting those (and the sill covers) in body colour as well? I reckon that'd look great on your car with the bumpers the way you've done them.

EDIT: I fear I might get flamed for saying that in my opinion, the grille is horrible... so I thought I'd add some justification. I don't think it looks as 'clean' as the standard grille, particularly when you consider that with those two large round lights, you now have more than the NZ legal maximum of four headlights!

If the inner rectangular headlights were replaced with the round lights, and the outer rectangular lights also replaced with (smaller) round lights (Mercedes-style), I think that would look a little nicer :) But that's just my opinion.

Cheers,
-Alex

Told ya my idea of the strip on the bumper would look good. Was really worth the effort in my opinion. And yes, there's nothing else on the road like it. That's the idea. Even if the grille isn't perfect. But If I really wanted too I have all the original grille/headlights/clear&amber versions of the indicators so I can change them back if needed, but I quite like the uniqueness of the grille and the fact that with all the country driving I do, the extra lights are a god send.

I have considered some flares, but decided against them because I'm trying to keep it looking semi 45ish :) Give people a fright at the lights :) I am however in the process of searching for some sill guards, which I will paint.

I've already mentioned the grille, and as for the lights, both my dads van and my van have more than 4 lights (standard too), and subie legacys have 10 forward facing headlamps. Plus my big round ones are only wired to come on with high beam, and when removed the car looks cleaner. I only have them there for the extra light power. I do alot of country night driving.

Quite like the idea of smaller round headlights, but don't know where I'd ever find a kit to do such a thing :(

Also, you may or may not have noticed I also did the mirrors, door handles and fuel cap :)

And while I think about it - are those tail light lenses standard?

They came with the turbo when I bought it, and I was using the 45 ones cause I thought the dark ones might be took dark, but it makes little to no difference, especially at night. I think they look quite snazz.

chrisunoman said:
Looks good that!

Lowering springs will only make it better too!!

Do i spy some novitec alloys??

Novitec???

Nope lol - those are genuine Fiat PCD drilled Momos, with some reasonable dish as you can see. $20.00 for the set with tyres hehehehe

alexGS said:
you now have more than the NZ legal maximum of four headlights!

I was going to say the same. However it may be ok depending on how the aftermarket lights are arranged.

F R O S T Y said:
I like it :D, its different (y) the way you did the black strips on the bumpers goes well with the side strips on the doors. :D Just need to lower it now

F R O $ T Y

I will when I find some lowering springs for it! That cost the world to buy.....

Springs from South Africa

Well, if you know anyone in South Africa, they can buy you some Koenic springs made over there for the Uno (yes, the spelling is with a 'c') and they will cost about NZ$120! You can post them over for about $20 (I know, 'cause I did it...) I like them very much.

Maybe someone on the forum here can help? :)

-Alex

Re: Springs from South Africa

alexGS said:
Well, if you know anyone in South Africa, they can buy you some Koenic springs made over there for the Uno (yes, the spelling is with a 'c') and they will cost about NZ$120! You can post them over for about $20 (I know, 'cause I did it...) I like them very much.

Maybe someone on the forum here can help? :)

-Alex

Well if you did it, then why can't I get them from the same place or guy that you did :p

It has the ride height of a 4x4 currently. Needs to go down a bit, and needs some Mrk2 Skirts as well.

Another thing for me to add to my ever growing list. All that while saving for a new van.

Hmmmmmmm :slayer:

Re: Springs from South Africa

Muzzie said:
Well if you did it, then why can't I get them from the same place or guy that you did :p

Ah yes - you can!
Just go to the Saturday Night Street Performance drags in Johannesburg - it's at an oval raceway somewhere out towards the airport - and there should be a number of motorshow-type stands there. You'll see the lowering springs stacked up in boxes. They're not too heavy - you can carry them around for the rest of the day/night, then get a ride with someone friendly and generous, back to where you're staying (take my advice and DON'T get in an un-metered taxi!) and finally post the springs home. They may even get home before you do.

Of course, the airfares will be a little over two grand, but I'm sure that will be OK given the savings... :D

My job paid for me to be there presenting training courses, so it was worth the savings...

-Alex

Back