General Motorbike engines in Puntos

Currently reading:
General Motorbike engines in Puntos

JonnyBoy

Fat pigeon... APPLE!
Down the pub the other day (the place where all great ideas are hatched), my mates and I were talking drunken crap about the possibility of dropping a superbike engine into a Punto. Theoretically it would be awesome: a Hayabusa unit can be bored out to 1.5 litres and produce up to 250bhp...which, in 800-ish kilo's of Punto, would accelarate like a stabbed rat. Even something slightly less psychotic, like a ZX9R unit, knocks out around 140-150bhp and weighs less than a car unit. (Although it would be an absolute nightmare to actually fit the thing and sort out transmission!)
What I'd like to know is if anything similar has already been done? I've heard of bike engines in Caterhams and other small sportscars, and even the odd Mini, so surely a Punto is possible?

------/F/I/A/T/------

Fart In A Tin

Yeah it's possible I guess, though it would be massively tricky to pull off in a front drive car. Well, it's massively tricky enough anyway. You'd really have to design everything from the ground up.

Funnily enough some friends of mine and I gave a bit of thought last year to a V-twin based small monocoque tub racecar series which would be held at a number of Surrey's plentiful tracks including the Brooklands course which is like 5 minutes from me. We lack the funds to realise this of course, but it's a nice dream we had. The cars would look, and sound, like mini-3000 or F1 cars. And with 150bhp or so of v-twin they'd go like a table in an Ikea sale!

Spirito di Punto | M-reg 55SX, black, 5dr. Clear repeaters. I'm fitting remote locking this week!!

mmmmmmmmm..... my old boys got a GSXR 1100 in the garage....

130 brake @ 9500 rpm......

Him and my old dear go on holiday soon.......... hehe[}:)]

On the same kind of note, when my old man had his motabike shop, some dudes travelled 50 miles to pick up 2 second hand motabike exhausts he was sellin to put on their cars...... yes cars!!!

They said the noise of it you get is awesome.

Anyone know of this kinda craziness and heard/seen the result????

How about going completely barking mad and putting two 1.5-litre turbocharged Hayabusa units in a Punto? 320bhp per engine, 4wd, stripped out inside and with a little strengthening, it should still weigh about a ton giving a power to weight ratio of around 650bhp/ton...with the 4wd it could, in theory, eat a McLaren for breakfast [8D]
Obviously, from the outside, it'd look just like a standard car complete with 55SX badging ;)
If someone funds it I'll build it!

------/F/I/A/T/------

Fart In A Tin

ROFL. If I ever get sick-wealthy remind me to do that. Downforce would become an issue at that stage of course - auto open tailgate at 120mph like a Carrera GT? :D

Spirito di Punto | M-reg 55SX, black, 5dr. Clear repeaters. I'm fitting remote locking this week!!

bike eng is a wee tad daft! its hard to pull off in a kitcar @450 kg and when u tune the busa lump it will b even worse ! try a bigger car lump! or two one front and back! (good to see im not the only drunk to think revolutionary ideas !):D keep up the good work !

A girl phoned me the other day and said, 'come on over; nobody's home." I went over. Nobody was home.

:D I like the auto-tailgate plan...and maybe a flat carbon fibre undertray as well?

A few years ago, someone dropped two engines into a Mk2 Golf...one VR6 in the front, one VR6 in the back, connected through some kind of 4wd system...so it's possible, although a twin-turbo-Busa-engined Punto would obviously laugh in the face of a lardy twin-VR6 Golf
[8D]

------/F/I/A/T/------

Fart In A Tin

yeh, it was the boys at dubsport who done the golf - done 60 in 3 seconds i think.....

Regal have done the same to a nova - twin engined 600 brake i think. I got videos of them both in action - I'l try and get them posted for you's.

600 brake in a Nova? Can't be right, I reckon anything over 75bhp would destroy the Vaux-shed!

------/F/I/A/T/------

Fart In A Tin
<font color="orange">1994 Punto 55SX, metallic red with black bumpers, 3-door, small, Italian and beautiful! </font id="orange">

you'd be wasting your time putting a motorbike engine in a car, unless you make the chassis superlight.

whilst i see where you're coming from with the bhp and 9000 rpm figures, the engines just do not have anywhere near the torque that a regular car engine has.[V]

True, it'd be a pig to drive slowly, but for pure fun and/or terrifying speed when thrashed, it'd be awesome!

------/F/I/A/T/------

Fart In A Tin
<font color="orange">1994 Punto 55SX, metallic red with black bumpers, 3-door, small, Italian and beautiful! </font id="orange">

ye it was Dub Sport! Id use two engines one front and one in the back! From the coupe turbo (keep it Fiat!!!!) Do the math
2x 2.0L 5cyl 20v turbo 2wd = 4.0L 10cyl 40v twin turbo 4wd :)
cost a mint but would be a great car!
the bud sport car has 4wd cuz it got 2 gearboxes!

A girl phoned me the other day and said, 'come on over; nobody's home." I went over. Nobody was home.

Back