General MOT Result

Currently reading:
General MOT Result

mckrob

Took the Cinq for its MOT....and its failed, but i'm over the moon!

Its passed all emissions tests, despite a K&N, so so worries with that anymore, the new spark plugs 200 miles ago proving their worth.

It passed the handbrake test - but the tester did tell me it needs adjusting a little, but only due to the handbrake having to be pulled up 9 clicks, not because its unstable. At 9 clicks, Hulk couldn't push it ;)

The dreaded driver seat also passed, he gave it a good shake, but didn't seem bothered by it.

So now, the failures. Amazingly, it only failed on 1 single thing, which i'm hoping someone will tell/help me do within 14 days to get a free re-test. Its 'Nearside Rear Wheel Bearing Worn To Excess'

Anyone able to help me with this? It a simple replace? The tester said something about taking off the wheel, tightening or clicking something, and then that would be it, but i had my brother-in-law to check Haynes, and he seems doubtful.

Any help on this would be appreciated, i'm hoping to do the work myself, or with the aid of a mechanic (brother-in-law again!) to get this sorted!

I smiled when he said it only failed on 1 thing :D:D:D

Another day...another problem...

wheel bearing aint expensive/hard to do.the mechanic would be talking about tightening up the centre bearing nut to increase the load and take away the slack but to be honest i would do the bearing and get it done.i haven't done a cinq one yet but ive got one to do soon[V]

The Fiat Cinquecento
Fun While It Runs

are the front and rear hubs the same? think the front ones are on their way out and never done just the bearings on their own. Only just replaced the rear ones! (complete hub)

There's a certain satisfaction you get from driving over a Sleeping Policeman

me and a mate did this on my sei,

i think its the same it came with a hub that included everything. basically take off the drum and youl see the hub (its where ut wheel nuts screw into). if you cant get it off (and u havnt got a puller) then do this:-

take off wheel and drum then put wheel back on secured with 2 wheel nuts diagonally and give the wheel a few good tugs! they hub comes off with the wheel.

then drop the new one on. line up holes with wheel drum and bolt all bk together! 30mins max

i got mine for £20 from a motor spares place.

hope this helps (ive actually contributed!!)

alfie

Sei sporting
motore di punto

Cheers, you've all been helpful (even you alfie ;)) and i'm giving Fiat a ring tomorrow to check on pricing.

Then i'll ring a few other places to get it cheaper! :)

DON'T USE FIAT!!!!! They wanted £67 for a rear hub and bearing. Just get the special flattened hub nut from Fiat cos you can't re-use your old ones. Try local motor spares place or G.G.B. (Engineering Spares) Ltd Tel: (020) 8888 2354. for the hub and bearing.

Was the wife's but its mine now!!
Lowered 40mm: Its a go-kart!!!
Home-made induction kit.

i dunno bout' the cinq but the rear bearing on a sei is machined onto the hub the only way is to grind it off if you want to use the existing hub. at first the motor spares place wanted to sell me just the bearing. but then they managed to get the whole thing. cost me £20... and a lot less stress to fit. that locking nut also came with it

alfie

Sei sporting
motore di punto

Down south (close to London) but they do mail order for not much. Failing that look for your closest Motorworld type parts shop.

Was the wife's but its mine now!!
Lowered 40mm: Its a go-kart!!!
Home-made induction kit.

New wheel bearing/hub now fitted :) All works fine, took 15 mins, not bad eh? ;)

Taking the car for the re-test Thursday.

Back