MOT price rise

Currently reading:
MOT price rise

according to the RAC a car costs this much to run a year (which in beau's case is true)

Depreciation £2,420 (£1,987)

Fuel £1,112 (£1,155)

Cost of finance £1,040 (£948)

Insurance £412 (£389)

Maintenance £300 (£271)

Tax £129 (£124)

RAC membership £126 (£126)

Total cost (per year) £5,539 (£5,000)

Total cost (per week) £106.51 (£96.15)

Total cost (per mile) £0.46 (£0.42)

hence why I don't buy a newer car, nearly £2.5k on AVERAGE JUST in devalueing, its costing you that just to sit there!!!

MOT isn't too bad... but if they keep on pushing its price up it could get to be a sizeable chunk.
I assume the RAC numbers based on a 12k miles/year ave & imo devaluation isn't a running cost, it's a purchase cost, I spend 32k on the V70 and that money is gone, nada, no more... Sure if I sold it now I could get 20~25K maybe but that's not the point, the value of that car is what it brings to my and my partners life.

your life sounds DAMN expensive LOL

I think the newest car I would like and could actually afford would be an alfa 147 diesel (because its a nicer engine, economy, torque and it holds its value well).

I know what you mean though, a car isn't an investment (go to a bank:rolleyes: ) its a cost.
Obviously some are more of a cost than others

Mondial%202004%20Maybach%2001.jpg

Over the time I had my Punto (4.5 years and 60k miles), I worked out a rough total cost to be under 25p a mile and £3000 a year in total. Depreciated from £6100 to £1700 in that time (averaging £1000 a year), and cost 7p a mile on petrol.

i believe MOT' stations pay £1 to the governing body per issue,(the boss said) and they can charge what they like, you still see them for £25 where i work at bmtec in the centre of manchester they are £44.50, but with the extra time 40 mins min and all the extra computer work, my boss said upto £80 before you know it, and all defects comes up on the police comp and your next mot so they know what to look for and check if its been done, another way of removing more old cars from the road eh! ANT!

Its true that £1 for every mot goes to the ministry of transport, but thats for buying computerised slots - at the moment £44.15 is the most that u can charge and that is governed by the M.O.T, but most dealerships make a loss on mot's even at that price because - for example, if you charge £110 an hour labour normally, an mot takes 1 hour and your only charged £45 = thats a £65 loss on every MOT for where i work anyway.... why would a small increase be unfair ?

Because for older cars in many cases the garage reaps the rewards in repairs to get through it, bet they hate people who take 'em home and mend 'em. IMO MOT's are costly, it's going to be a big waste of my money (n)

Back