General MOT failure & other Things/Stuff

Currently reading:
General MOT failure & other Things/Stuff

So failed MOT last week o_O

Rubber bushes in nearside lower wishbone assembly, and a rear shock gone.

So I replaced both shocks, & both that were taken off, were still functional and quite healthly looking. So spraying the underside with oil has it's drawbacks. :(

Front end was a different story, and although only the offside was flagged, I replace both sides and just as well.

Old_Bits-2.jpg

Both the rubber centres were seperated from the steel casting...

Old_Bit-1.jpg

While the front bumper was of I noticed what a poor state my aircon rad was, so thats on the list now...

Aircon_Stuffed.jpg

....AND.. I fitted my foglights :p

Fog_Lights-1.png

Bulbs as dim as dishwater, and I'll need to look at that later.
After lots of faffing around with the MES it works fine. Push once for front on, again fron front & rear on, and push again they go off.

Started 8'ish in the morning, was done by midnight, by then it was well below zero degs.

Take it back in Monday. 🤞

Lower arm bushes would probably last longer if they used chewing gum instead of rubber!
surprising amount of rad damage there! previous owner an off roader maybe!
nothing quite like 20 hours work in the freezing cold to let you know your alive eh bet you enjoyed your dinner that night!
well done for pushing on with the work!
would be nice if you could get uprated shocks but i havent found any yet! keep us informed guess the pass certificate should be next!

Lower arm bushes would probably last longer if they used chewing gum instead of rubber!

Perhaps if they actually put ALL the rubber in, instead of removing half of it, it would last longer.

I had to crack on, the weather forecast was deteriorating....

I think there previous owner had some front end damage, and just put another bumper on, which is why the rad & headlight are still damaged. They obviously thought they could get away with it, (and they did).

Headlight_Broken.jpg

Headlight_Ok.jpg

would be nice if you could get uprated shocks

Why would you need those? would that not make for a harder ride?

Perhaps if they actually put ALL the rubber in, instead of removing half of it, it would last longer.

I think there previous owner had some front end damage, and just put another bumper on, which is why the rad & headlight are still damaged. They obviously thought they could get away with it, (and they did).

View attachment 436919

View attachment 436920

yep! but then the body might feel like its gonna stay on the chassis when i go round a corner at more than 40mph! and running over a small stone might stop feeling like i have fallen into the grand canyon!

surprising amount of rad damage there
No surprise to me; the A/C condenser simply isn't up to coping with being drenched in winter salt spray.

Most UK 500's/Pandas >4yrs old will be this bad, or worse.

Peek through the front grille of the next random 500 you see and it just might surprise you,

Fortunately they usually continue to work just fine, even once most of the smaller fins have disappeared.

There's no need to change it unless it's actually leaking refrigerant. Mine is far worse than this, and the A/C still functions well.

View attachment 436919

View attachment 436920

The missing rubber is deliberate

Is to allow more flex then a solid rubber bush

No surprise to me; the A/C condenser simply isn't up to coping with being drenched in winter salt spray.
I thought it was due to the front end damage the car had before I bought it.

Most UK 500's/Pandas >4yrs old will be this bad, or worse.

Peek through the front grille of the next random 500 you see and it just might surprise you,
I think I will take your advice, and have a look. (y)

Well the fan goes too high on 'auto' for my poor delicate ears 🤣 , I use the top (AC icon) button and tweak the fan and directions, depending on conditions /preferences.
Really!? Is that not just while it stabilises the temperature? Not all the time I assume!? Do you get cold/ aircon and then heat? Without issues

Is that not just while it stabilises the temperature?
Yes most definately, I just can't be assed to put up with that extreme fan noise, It'll does the job just fine if I manually wind the fan up to about 65/75%.
IMO the fan pushing the air past the cars heat exchanger too fast doesn't actually allow any heat to exchange, and it just comes out cold.

Do you get cold/ aircon and then heat? Without issues
Yep, no trouble at all.

Yes most definately, I just can't be assed to put up with that extreme fan noise, It'll does the job just fine if I manually wind the fan up to about 65/75%.
IMO the fan pushing the air past the cars heat exchanger too fast doesn't actually allow any heat to exchange, and it just comes out cold.

Yep, no trouble at all.
Phew … these automatic systems have flaws 🫣🤣

Back