Styling More scratches than a scratching post!

Currently reading:
Styling More scratches than a scratching post!

Hello again lovelies!

I've been trying to remove the scratches on my car but it seems not to be working all too well in my favour. I'm pretty sure it was key'd on one side and there's other weird marks that have removed the paint. The previous owners didn't go into detail what had happened.

I've tried using metallic T-Cut and a Red based T-Cut but there's near enough no difference. Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you. ♥

So same situation happened with me, however, we tried to restore the headlights and instead ripped the newspaper and caused scratches ourselves.

I was going to go for T-cut too but the halfords employee stopped me. Insisted I buy Maguire's, however, I thought it could be a sales trick but he wasn't the one serving me.
I was told T-cut is like milk when it comes to this and the only reason it's popular is because of how it came to the market first and at a low cost.

Depending on the scratch, you've either got a damaged primer or completely lost paint (I'd assume from the keyed marks you'd have lost paint) For the normal scratches which haven't ripped paint off, I'd recommend this

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-and-body-repair/scratch-repair-and-paint-restorers/meguiars-scratch-x-207ml-538348.html

I'd recommend buying it somewhere cheaper if you're in no rush, e.g ebay or something.

You'll need a rag (I got the halfords £3 pack of rags) and you'll have to squirt a good amount on the rag and rub the scratched surface in circular motion with a good amount of strength. You won't see changes until 10 - 15minutes into the scrubbing, but I promise you, it'll go. Mine went perfectly. Again, depending on the scratch. If you could show an example of a few different scratches you've got, I'll let you know which ones would be possible with this fix.

In regards to the deeper cuts with paint missing, I know there's a few ebay sellers who sell specific paint coats as a pen. They're the correct colour, however, the pen itself is awful, poorly put together and you'll be loosing a lot more paint than you would want. So I'd avoid using their tools and use something of your own, again I could of just got a defective product but who knows. To find your paint, just pop the bonnet open and at the top left corner of the bonnet from the inside you'll notice a 3 digit number and maybe a letter, just look for the word code.

Last edited:
If scratches are deep then products of any sort are not going to ‘fix’ it but if you have some more shallow scratches then there are a lot of products that will help.

Something like Farecla G3 is a much stronger cutting compound than T-Cut which will help With scratches..

The G3 relates to how course the cutting will be so there is also a G10 which is very fine for getting a mirror like finish.

When doing this is always best to use an electric polisher as trying to do it by hand can leave scratches and marks cause by different amount of pressure you put in with your hands.

It can also take days to do that sort of polishing by hand

D1EXvkI.jpg

f1Vdxiw.jpg

3PSh4C8.jpg

wvd3x5c.jpg

In regards to the colour code, I have no idea, nor do I know how to find it out.

Hi,

Like the bright colour.

Looks from photos that it could be a metallic paint with a clear coat over the colour metallic paint.

It is difficult when the clear coat is damaged because the clear layer tends to start peeling off the coloured coat.

Hopefully someone will come up with a helpful tip .

Cheers

Jack

I think Jackwhoo might be spot on, looks like someone has scratched through the clear coat some time ago and now the clear coat is peeling off the paint, I’m not sure that there’s much you can do about that without repainting it, which may cost more than the car is worth.

There are some cheap good paint shops I know in Norwich (depending where you are in the east) but even then the costs may be still way too high

Back