Technical Mods To A 899cc Engine?

Currently reading:
Technical Mods To A 899cc Engine?

i am getting my induction kit fitted in about 3 weeks time then the exhaust wont be done until august!

coz thats when i am getting everything exterior changed! :p hence the name 'one day i wont recognise my car' hee hee

i have been told that drilling a hole in the air filter on some cars results in the cars performance f*#king up totally! dont know if this is right or not but hey if holes were meant to be there they woulda put them there ha ha ha thats what me nana said bout ear piercings "if you were supposed to have holes in ya ears god woulda put them there" UMMMM how bout no i think i will go put a few more holes in me body AHHH whatever i think i will whilst i am at it put a few more holes in me car ha ha ha ha ha :rolleyes:

sorry in a strange mood am bored ****less at work!

X

i think the holes that mess up the performence are ones in newer cars that have air flow meters, if u drill holes after that then it'll cock it all up!

Hi,
Finding a way of making it breathe better would be a great advantage with the 899cc engine, the inlet manifold is part of the rocker cover, so theres only so much you can remove when porting the head and manifold.
If anyone knows a of a different design head that would fit this engine, then that could be a way of improving the breathing.

ps. Is the 899cc engine the biggest available of this engine type or are there bigger units that could be a straight swap..

Thanks
Paul T
Dunno how helpful my input is cirka 20 years later, but hey, maybe in the distant future some Fiat lover will get a kick out of this. 899 isn't the biggest this engine can get. 903 is also just the 2nd largest configuration as far as I know. Little known fact, these engines come from the A112 series of engines (famously known for powering various Autobianci A112s). The biggest displacement I know is 965 cc, commonly found in pre-facelift 4x4 Pandas (1983-86) making around 48Hp stock. The thing is, these engines came with, from factory, with a 2 barrel carb (Weber DATR 10/100 or something very similar). This meant the intake manifold is also larger, allowing for more air and fuel. These engines exist, in fact my 83 4x4 panda has one! I believe the diameter is increased to 67.7mm (not sure about the .7) but the crank is the same as the 903 crank. Just to give a more complete picture, there are a few mechanical differences between the Panda and the Cinque/Sei engines, these include, but may not be limited to: the use of a mechanical distributor driven from the camshaft, the same way the oil pump is driven, the timing chain has no tensioner, there is an eccentric cylinder bolted to the camshaft sprocket, this drives the mechanical fuel pump, the valve clearance is not hydraulicly adjusted by a tappet, old-school manual adjustments are required, the sump is different too, not in shape or capacity, but in the gasket they use, panda sumps use an older 4 piece gasket design that always leaks. The rocker cover and intake manifold are two separate parts. On sei/cinq heads there is large flat surface on the left side, that is where a hose would connect, that is the feedline for the heater core, later it is just not drilled, instead the heater is fed from the thermostat housing. Also the alternator is a much more reliable design on the sei/cinq, fits the Panda flawlessly (when the original Lucas alternator gave up on life I could not rebuild it, parts are no longer available, swapped it for a Seicento alternator, works fine, literally plug and play). Hope this will help someone out in some way.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20201128_181051.jpg
    20201128_181051.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 23
If you can find one, an abarth 1050cc 70bhp would be a decent start.

Not sure if they turn in the opposite direction meaning mods needed, it will physically bolt to the gearbox and engine mounts

Last edited:
Back