Technical Mods To A 899cc Engine?

Currently reading:
Technical Mods To A 899cc Engine?

Rob_Randomcruisers.co.uk

Established member
what mods can you do to a 899cc engine?? if any ive only put a universal air filter on it. also got a sportex backbox on it aswell.

so can u do anything to these engines or better off just gettin a sporting??

any ideas would be great, cheers rob

Hi,
Finding a way of making it breathe better would be a great advantage with the 899cc engine, the inlet manifold is part of the rocker cover, so theres only so much you can remove when porting the head and manifold.
If anyone knows a of a different design head that would fit this engine, then that could be a way of improving the breathing.

ps. Is the 899cc engine the biggest available of this engine type or are there bigger units that could be a straight swap..

Thanks
Paul T

you could find one of the REALLY rare 903cc units fitted to very early (1993) Cinqs!!

or you could wait for a while and then put a 1242 enigine in it :D

Putting a 1242 into an 899 is a nightmare of a job, and is better to start with a sporting.

There are very few 'over the counter' remedies for the 899 so everything has to be constructed from scratch.

Basic tuning is about getting more air and fuel in and then getting back out again, so slightly larger exhaust is a way to look along with the head work.

Cheers

D

Hi,
Does anyone know if there are any cam kits available for the 899cc type engines and is the 903cc engine the biggest capacity of this engine....?

Thanks
Paul T

i THINK you can get modified cams from novitec and also the site which sells the hormann kits

i looked on novitec, they don't seem to do any tuning bits for the 899, just an air filter.

I can't find any specific to the 899, and can't remeber what it was derived from so can't check them either!

These guys are good tho, http://www.colombo-bariani.com/catalogo.php?lang=eng . I'm sure they could re-profile a std cam for you, or could point you in the right direction.

A company like Kent Cams or Piper Cams would reprofile a standard cam as well. I was thinking of reboring a 899 block to take 903 pistons, assuming that both engines have the same stroke, so I'll have to do some research! :D

OK, had a look on www.carsfromitaly.com and they have listed the 899 as to having a bore of 65mm and a stroke of 67.7mm. The 903 has a bore of 65mm and a stroke of 68mm. Boring would require bespoke pistons then by the sound of it! :(

Hi,
Would there be any noticeable difference between 899cc and 903cc, its only 4cc...?

I have a haynes manual for the Uno and it says the Uno 903cc engine runs higher compression than the Cinq 899cc, may be worth looking into....

Thanks
Paul T

The younger modder said:
Would a decat pipe make much if any difference to an 899 and would it make it much louder

Doubt it - I reckon the cat would only start restricting power at the top of the rev range when you get past a certain bhp. As for making it louder - it would depend on how much insulation (if any) there is in the cat - there is some material but I don't think it would make a noticeable difference

paul_treg said:
Hi,
Would there be any noticeable difference between 899cc and 903cc, its only 4cc...?

I have a haynes manual for the Uno and it says the Uno 903cc engine runs higher compression than the Cinq 899cc, may be worth looking into....

Thanks
Paul T

Higher compression? Definately :D. There may be some difference, and if you were to stroke the block then it may be worth using the 903cc crank and rods to maximise the cc obtained.

would a GSR F2I induction kit and custom exhaust make much difference?! :D
X

B18 RDM said:
would a GSR F2I induction kit and custom exhaust make much difference?! :D
X

Yes...but not a lot. You should notice it on the road in terms of drivability. With your exhaust, don't go too big (bigger is definately NOT better when it comes to this). 1.5 - 1.75 inch bore should be fine.

With the ECU fitted to 899s (a 'learning' ECU) then it should be OK to fit an induction kit as the fuelling would be taken care of. If its any better than just drilling the airbox and using a free flow air filter element (or a standard element), I don't know. Perhaps a little experimentation is called for :D

Back