CHASSIS:

- FK highsport coilovers
- OMP alloy strut brace
- Bendix GT front calipers with Red Dot XE Fast Road pads
- HGT rear beam conversion with HGT discs, calipers, stock pads
- Balance Motorsport carbon braided hoses all round
- Munkul-spec superflex polyurathane rear bushes
- Munkul-Spec top and bottom engine mounts reinforced with polyurathene
- Sporting 15" alloys refurbished and powdercoated in anthracite, Toyo T1-R all round

Drop of 60mm front 35mm back

Front camber: -1.8 degree +/-0.1, Toe in 0.8 degree

ICE:

- Pioneer HU
- Infinity Reference components
- Infinity Reference 6x9s

FUTURE MODS:

- Polyurathane front wishbone bushes
- Greddy FCD
- Mocal 13 row oil cooler (just to fit when i get time, before summer comes)
- Possibly up the boost, stainless exhaust, depends
- Sell it
Also like someone else said, better a glorious fiery death than being smashed up by a charver or rusting to death in a scrappy or something :D

Too right.

Punto's aren't my thing if I'm honest but I NEVER like to see anyone's car getting burnt up like that especially when you've obviously put some work into it, but like you say it's an honourable death, not some getting sent to the scrapper because it's got a little bit of rust on an arch or something silly.

RIP Punto!

If it had gone bang in such a big way i seriously doubt that a standard car size extinguisher would have been big enough to deal with a fire like that anyway :(

Least you got out of it safely fella

it started with a small fire at the back bumper, and anything else in the engine bay would have been small enough to put out easily as well.

Ive seen loads videos of tuned cars chucking rods and in each case, the fire is small enough to easily deal with if you get to it quickly...

Ive seen loads videos of tuned cars chucking rods and in each case, the fire is small enough to easily deal with if you get to it quickly...

But don't forget that the turbo will be so hot that you sometimes get a lot of oil vapourised very quickly -- it flashes over. If that flash melts a fuel line, you're in an aweful lot of trouble.

But don't forget that the turbo will be so hot that you sometimes get a lot of oil vapourised very quickly -- it flashes over. If that flash melts a fuel line, you're in an aweful lot of trouble.

usually its not so much a fuel line (even if a fuel line burns (which does take a direct flame for quite a while) there is not much fuel there without the pump running to do much more damage)

usually the real fire is started when the wiring loom burns

But anyway imho this was pure bad luck. from the sound of how it went it was just "time" for the poor punto :(

I bet even if it never caught fire munkul would of lost all love for it after all the time/effort he put into it to of even bothered attempting to rebuild it.

I am totally gutted about it though.... this car was the reason for my cento getting the UK,s first 16VT heart transplant.... and would never of happend without this punto and munkuls help

So a true offspring of munkuls punto.... (well an ugly bastard child anyway lol)

Last edited:
Sounds like a plumbed in fire system would be a good idea for any turbo-ed Fiat.

Munkul did what he thought was enough to strengthen the engine, but still got caught out. Sad times mate. :(

We should tag this for showing to the regular posters who want to fit turbos on the cheap. This wasn't cheap but still bit the dust.

Again: Sorry your ride got trashed. :(

Last edited:
:p the day you blow a nissan engine to pieces i'll be impressed!

with the size of turbo I have sitting waiting for it, its probably more likely than you think... ;)

Just to give you a clue, it usually powers the 5.9 litre Cummins engines found in trucks and stuff... and no, I havent lost my mind :D

Of course, this whole business has set that on the back burner now :(

Its going through insurance now unfortunately, because the council have resurfaced the road and pavement around the area and will be billing me for it. Yes, that's right... they have ALREADY resurfaced it. Amazing how fast they work when the capital isn't coming out of their own pockets...

The ****ing amazing to say the least. Wish our council would repair fire damaged roads that fast.

I feel that might be worth a couple of complaints and claims. Did you take any photo's of where the car was for your own reference? If there wasn't any distinctive damage to either surfaces then I would be looking for some loopholes.

Thanks

X

with the size of turbo I have sitting waiting for it, its probably more likely than you think... ;)

Just to give you a clue, it usually powers the 5.9 litre Cummins engines found in trucks and stuff... and no, I havent lost my mind :D

Of course, this whole business has set that on the back burner now :(

Its going through insurance now unfortunately, because the council have resurfaced the road and pavement around the area and will be billing me for it. Yes, that's right... they have ALREADY resurfaced it. Amazing how fast they work when the capital isn't coming out of their own pockets...

ouch. Whilst part of me thinks "why should the taxpayer pay" and all that, I do think it's very harsh!

Amazing how fast they work when the capital isn't coming out of their own pockets...
Tell me about it. I spilt some oil outside my house by mistake a while back and in the time it took me to go get some sand from the shop, according to the council, someone reported it, someone came to investigate and then yet another person came out to put sand on it. For which I was charged several hundred pounds. It wouldn't bother me so much if they had actually done a decent job but they didn't use nearly enough sand. I still had to put sand down and sweep it all myself :rolleyes:

it started with a small fire at the back bumper, and anything else in the engine bay would have been small enough to put out easily as well.

Problem is that there is obviously a lot of heat (it was enough to get the oil to burn in the first place)

Dry chemical powder is Fantastic for a quick knock down however once the cloud disperses it doesn't prevent reignition .....

All horses for courses obviously I think i will knock up a guide in the guides section to try and help anyone who has seen this thread come to an informed decision over what car extinguisher to buy as there are a load on the market which really aren't suitable for the job they are intended to do.......

Fantastic how the council can't fill potholes but can patch up scorched tarmac :rolleyes:

Back