Technical Mk2 punto wont now start...at all!

Currently reading:
Technical Mk2 punto wont now start...at all!

Unplug the fuel pipe in the engine bay. Its a plastic quick release. If no fuel flows out with ignition on its not pumping.

Unplug the fuel pipe in the engine bay. Its a plastic quick release. If no fuel flows out with ignition on its not pumping.

before I do that fuel aint going to gush out is it? :p

also If nothing comes out then where are fuses or switchs that I should check just to narrow it down abit more before turning to fuel pump itself.

Edit:

Can't get the bloody thing off so It'll have to wait until tomorrow to test that... :/

Last edited:
Put a hose on the pipe end and direct it into a fuel can. No mess & no waste.

The Haynes will tell you how to undo the coupling.

Put a hose on the pipe end and direct it into a fuel can. No mess & no waste.

The Haynes will tell you how to undo the coupling.

Ok but if nothing comes out then what you recommend? jw cause I can't check fuel pipe until tomorrow so be cool what to check next after if anything. could be the full cut off switch, inertia or something? haynes says it on the rightside(drivers side) inside but I had a look today and couldn't find anything under carpet. Anybody know where it is?

Luke

Last edited:
Take off the oil filler cap and make sure the cam is turning when you try to start the engine.

FAIL- the 1.2 8v has a baffle attached to the rocker cover which means you can't see the camshaft. :rolleyes:

OP- Start with the basics- get your Dad to join you outside in the cold and point out every wire/plug/connector he messed about with and ensure they're all tight and secure, especially the RPM sensor plug.

FAIL- the 1.2 8v has a baffle attached to the rocker cover which means you can't see the camshaft. :rolleyes:

OP- Start with the basics- get your Dad to join you outside in the cold and point out every wire/plug/connector he messed about with and ensure they're all tight and secure, especially the RPM sensor plug.

lol no wonder i couldn't see the bloody thing -.-
he only did it to afew he could see but earlyier today i checked ever single one i could see including the ones under the airbox, removed them, check, cleaned and replaced.
oh the RPM sensor thing is for cars that got a rev counter I'm guessing... which i haven't LOL

Last edited:

Maybe, but he's also been asked to take off the belt cover. See post #19
OP say's its turning. We have to presume he's done the test.
He also says there is no fuel line pressure - easy enough test so presume he's got that right as well.

Dad wont remember anything - just look for loose connectors. We cant do it from here so got to assume OP already done that.

Last edited:
OP say's its turning so what can we do.
He also says there is no fuel line pressure - easy enough test so presume he's right.

IIRC, it wasnt going before dad did the WD40 squirty stuff so unlikely to help much.

It was working before.. which is why I honestly dont get what the hell is wrong with it...

Just changed my last post & crossed over. :/

Have all the checks been done?
  • Cam belt turning?
  • Fuel flowing?
  • Sparks sparking?
Now add the F'd up connectors issue

Last edited:
Just changed my last post & crossed over. :/

Have all the checks been done?
  • Cam belt turning?
  • Fuel flowing?
  • Sparks sparking?
Now add the F'd up connectors issue

cam turning, sparks fine, no fuel came out depressurization valve, haven't check by pulling fuel lead out of the injector block yet.

OP say's its turning. We have to presume he's done the test.
He also says there is no fuel line pressure - easy enough test so presume he's got that right as well.

Dad wont remember anything - just look for loose connectors. We cant do it from here so got to assume OP already done that.

LMAO, no "maybe" about it- you can't diagnose a cambelt issue on an 8v by looking at the cam! You told him completely wrong info for a 1.2 8v, then when he said-

I looked in the hole with torch and saw nothing move?! still as a statue.. :/

You diagnosed a broken cambelt-

looks like the cam belt has broken.

:cry::cry::cry:

Whether his Dad remembers what he did or not, why should Luke be pissing around in the cold alone, lol (unless it truely is coincidental)?

oh the RPM sensor thing is for cars that got a rev counter I'm guessing... which i haven't LOL

All cars with fuel injection have an RPM sensor- it's what tells it when to inject fuel and fire the spark plugs. ;)

If you've got a spark, then it's working. Whether it's at the right time is down to valve timing (but I'd be surprised if it's wrong in your case).

Fuel pump is usually hard to hear unless you've lifted the rear seat bench and put your ear against the tank access panel. Pump will only prime for approx 1 sec when switching ignition on. Inertia switch is on the passenger side, below the dash and to the left.

All cars with fuel injection have an RPM sensor- it's what tells it when to inject fuel and fire the spark plugs. ;)

If you've got a spark, then it's working. Whether it's at the right time is down to valve timing (but I'd be surprised if it's wrong in your case).

Fuel pump is usually hard to hear unless you've lifted the rear seat bench and put your ear against the tank access panel. Pump will only prime for approx 1 sec when switching ignition on. Inertia switch is on the passenger side, below the dash and to the left.

Oooo ok thanks for that learnt something new(y)

Ye I would aswell dont know how the enginer could be fine one day and wont start the next.. not sure how the timing could have been thrown off tbh.

I'm going to check the inertia switch, checked my haynes and it said right side.. I thought right side being in the car..drivers side..I'm guessing its the right side from looking at it outside the car. ;)

I decided yesterday that I was going to whip the backseat up and check the fuel pump see if its ok..dont see why it shouldn't it's the only logical problem I can think off at the mo..besides the inertia. Might check the fuses and wiring inside the dash just to make sure there ok, nothing has been moved but no harm in having a look tbh.

Luke

Last edited:
Hi, I got a ECU diagnostic cable and FES. Got this error:

P0230 - Fuel Pump -No Signal-Fatal-Light On

Fuel Pump Primary Circuit.
The reason for this fault is that ECU did not receive signal from the sensor. The fault is present now.
Take appropriate action to fix this sensor fault. Dashboard warning light was activated for this fault.

Is the fuel pump sensor within the fuel pump or is it along the circuit somewhere?

Luke

There is no fuel pump sensor- it's just another poor description from FES.

Basically it's the ECU not "seeing" the right amount of voltage when it's trying to work the fuel pump relay. Check the engine bay fusebox for the fuel pump relay and inspect its pins and the fusebox for corrosion/damage. Also, try another relay of the same colour and rating in its place (pick one that is not important for engine start-up/running, eg headlight).

Back