General Mk2 8v model mystery

Currently reading:
General Mk2 8v model mystery

Specs43

Well lads, how’s it going

Right l’ve a 2002 broom yellow mk2. So on the logbook she’s down as a active sound, she has the full interior of a sporting with the great speakers sporty wheel and suby in the boot very high spec. So I wanted to learn more about my model so seached the internet and have found nothing about the active sound, I even went to grange.com which states every single version of all Puntos ever produced and the active sound is not among them. I then ordered a sales brochure from the year of the cars production and still no Mention of this model. I am aware that there was a mk2b active sound from around 2005. So has anyone owned this model before, or is my car very rare? [emoji23] Thanks boys pu

Well Charlie thanks for the reply. The she isn’t a facelifted model so is not a b. The car has the seats, door cards ,wheel, 6 rds speakers and subby, gears knob, electric wheel windows and has the rev counter, which is not a sporting one with the white indentation. My only real question is the name active sound in nowhere to be found in the net for the pre face lift model even in the sale brochure of the same year of the cars production. There is a active and active sport from that era but no active sound. It’s a strange one

Is it imported? Back in the early 2000s people where going over the channel to buy new cars as it was cheaper and in any european dealership it was possible to spec a car as a right hand drive. It maybe the case for you car, that it was never originally a model sold in the uk at that time? I’m not sure how you would find out if this was the case now?

Maybe look at sales brochures from other countries, you may however need to brush up on your French/german/Italian/spanish. And even then you might not find out ?

Is it imported? Back in the early 2000s people where going over the channel to buy new cars as it was cheaper and in any european dealership it was possible to spec a car as a right hand drive. It maybe the case for you car, that it was never originally a model sold in the uk at that time? I’m not sure how you would find out if this was the case now?

Maybe look at sales brochures from other countries, you may however need to brush up on your French/german/Italian/spanish. And even then you might not find out ?

Danmark offered great savings.. ;)

Thanks for the reply lads, maybe it is imported I doubt it though as the car have the original sale number plate cover and sale sticker, unless the sales place imported it from another country. I am in the south of Ireland here. Funnily enough I live about ten minutes away from the town she was originally purchased from, so she came home [emoji23] i think it may be somthing I’ll never know, maybe the Irish version of the dvla could help me out. Sound out boys

It's probably a roll out model, not 100% exactly the right term, when a manufacturer finishes with a model they bung on loads of extra kit to flog the remaining stock. It could even be a dealer special, although they only normally put sticker kits on, can't see a dealer having sporting seats and subs hanging around in stock though.
I've just found this....
https://www.cars-data.com/en/fiat-punto-1.2-sound-specs/12357
It's a B and not an A so I'm not sure it's the same as yours.
The interior looks quite posh, got the CD changed which I thought only came in the HGT.

Yeah I know what you mean by roll out model, could be possible but the term active in the naming of the different model of Puntos only came out in 2002 the same yeah as the car. I have only ever seen one other active sound being mentioned on the internet and that’s a old ad from 2012 for one being sold also in Ireland and also from 2002 I actually ran the reg aswell and it is indeed an also a active sound. Is it possible that the active sound was exclusive to Ireland. I do highly doubt this as we usually get sent the lower spec models here in Ireland, hence the reason we import so many of the English cars as yous seem to get much higher spec models. If this forum can’t find out we’ll never know [emoji23]

I have seen the website you linked there before, and yeah my cars interior is noting like that, didn’t know they came with a with white dash ?[emoji23]. I have found this website here with seems to list every single version from mk1 all the way to get mark 3 evos. And the active sound from 2002 isn’t there, take a look lads. https://www.grange.co.uk/technical-data/fiat/punto

Last edited:
Yes true it’s a active sound on the logbook, maybe a mistake from the Irish dvla, but the active sport came with a passenger airbag and fog lights as standard which my car doesn’t have, but the active sport didn’t come with the steering wheel out of a sporting which my car has, very strange.

Wow didn’t know many people imported from Ireland to England. Anyway the ad had no further info on the specs, seem to be a mystery

My brother builds camper vans, has his own company and regularly buys in Irish vw transporters as they are considerably cheaper from Ireland

Does he import from southern or northern Ireland?

usually northern Ireland but I believe he has imported from Southern Ireland.

Generally the profit in a Transporter is such that even if its completely knackered he can still repair it and sell it for more here than its worth out there.

More recently he has been buying more new vans, usually after the first owner has had them, whole sale from the local VW dealer, and converting these as they command a higher premium. a new 30k mile T6 has a lot more profit than a 200k irish t5

Last edited:
Back