Technical Mk2 1.2 8v Starting problem and ECU light

Currently reading:
Technical Mk2 1.2 8v Starting problem and ECU light

gmjones

Hi guy I have had loads of problemes with my 2001 Punto mia lately. Cut a long story short it was overheating and fan kicking in all the time. Anyway after a new Thermostat, Water Pump all back working OK. However when the car starts its very lumpy to a point this morning it took 4 times and I had to put my foot on the accelerator to get it started. Also the yellow Engine light has come on. When this light came on before the garage checked ECu and it was complaining about temperature sensor so mechanic replaced the temperature sensor on Engine and reset ECU. Car started fine and light went but recently the same has happened. Do you think that the temperature sensor has gone again and the car doesn't know how much fuel to put in when starting?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Gareth

If you take the ECU out you can check for the hardware number. It is a 3 digit number i.e. HW003 or HW303. Any number below HW103 has got a Motorola processor that corrupts the map and needs a replacement of the ECU.

Do You think it could be as serious as an ECU? What is the cost of one of those fitted?

Regards

Gareth

I drove to my mates so he could plug the laptop into ECU and the fault Code was P0352 Ignition Coil 2 Circuit, he checked the book and it said Coil B needed to be replaced. There are two colis in the Punto so how do I know which one is B?

Should I get one replaced or both?

Regards

Gareth

When the mechanic Reset the error the light dfid not come back on and the car is starrting fine! Should I replace the coil Pack? If so how do I know what B is? Should I replace both?

Regards

Gareth

Do you think it could still be the ECU even theough computer come up with the above error?

Anybody?

Thanks in advance.

When the mechanic Reset the error the light dfid not come back on and the car is starrting fine! Should I replace the coil Pack? If so how do I know what B is? Should I replace both?

Regards

Gareth

If the problem comes back after a while, most likely a faulty sensor i would say..

After about 3 days with two different coils I failed to start car then after about 5 times it started really (Lumpy starting though) then the amber light came back on. Took it to my mates and plugged computer in and same error! Coil B! So it must be the ECU now. Has anyone bought the ECU's off Ebay for about £140? They seem to have good reviews.

Thanks in advance

Gareth

Does anyone know where the ECU is located on the Mk2 Punto 1.2 8v? Also how long does it take for a new ECU swap?

Having a Coil code in the ECU does not mean the ECU has failed, however there is a posibility the coil driver in the ECU is at fault but it is more likely to fail completely if it is the ecu. Check the wiring.

ECU is under the bonnet, silver box on the left?

Fiat Punto 1200 16v 1998

ECU is in the same place (silver box on left of engine)

Attachments

• Punto1ok.jpg
    Punto1ok.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 56
Mine is the 8V, just checked and its under the Air filter on back of engine bay I think.

Having a Coil code in the ECU does not mean the ECU has failed, however there is a posibility the coil driver in the ECU is at fault but it is more likely to fail completely if it is the ecu. Check the wiring.

ECU is under the bonnet, silver box on the left?

Fiat had to replace under warranty ten thousands of ECUs because of a faulty processor. We know the problems of the processor. Checking the wiring will not lead you to the problem.

Back