Technical mk1 punto temp gauge

Currently reading:
Technical mk1 punto temp gauge

got any pic of sensors? also how do you know those sensors came from cars fitted with temp gauge?

had same problem like you before i bought the right sensor, if gauge moves to max when u touch metal that means wire and clocks are good, problem is in the bad sensor for sure

Left is for lamp only.
Right is for gouge only.

2015-01-21_13_12_57.jpg

2 I have from scrap cars and the third is from FIAT purchased under the guidance of FIAT mechanic.
Therefore, I am sure they are right.
Chance of error in all three must be minimal

Last edited:
Yes I have enough antifreeze and the cooling system has been bleeding.
Problem started after engine got new headgasket. Also put in new termostat.
It is a 1.1 55s model. 8V.
It was becouse of the headgasket-problem that I want to change the "to-late-lamp" whit a gouge so I could follow the engine temp

Yes I have enough antifreeze and the cooling system has been bleeding.
Problem started after engine got new headgasket. Also put in new termostat.
It is a 1.1 55s model. 8V.
It was becouse of the headgasket-problem that I want to change the "to-late-lamp" whit a gouge so I could follow the engine temp

i got same car, maybe wise elders could shed some light why this doesnt work

well ultimately if you take the wire out the sensor and ground it and get full deflection at the gauge - you have 100% proved that the circuit is good and that it has to be the sensor resistance is either not changing or is too high.. have you compared the ohms at certain temps to what is stated it should be in the haynes??

I had the same issue fitting a temp gauge on my 55s. Tried 2 brand new sensors and it just would not work.

In the end I fitted an after market temp gauge with a sensor in a cast coupling fitted into top radiator hose.

Dunno why the punto has this issue but nobody has come up with a working solution as yet.

Yes yes - now it works.
Bought a new speedometer on eBay.
Plugged it in the car and so it worked.
And I dont know why......

flisko - first thank you for trying to help.
But I write just here because I have tried everything suggested in this and other threads.
I am aware of the engine must be warm before the gauge rises.
I am also absolutely sure the 3 sensors is for a car with gauge and not for lamp.
This is easily tested with ohm-meters. Sensor for lamp is a simple contact-sensor - sensor for gouge is not-it register resistance at the changing temp.
If you read this forum and the web in general it is quite obvious that I'm far from the first one with this problem but not a single place I have found the answer to the problem.
I have had the car for about half a year now and have made very mechanically on it and the longer I've had it, the more I think:

What a bad car Fiat Punto MK1 is .....
If i could've read this years ago id maybe helped you out ..because i know this from my own experience...problem is from the lamp of temperature guage remove that lamp and the guage will start working 90% of chance ...i hope this will help ...

Attachments

• 20220421_105937.jpg
    20220421_105937.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
just changed head gasket all fine except temp gauge not working. bought a new sensor made no difference, earthing the wire on sensor results in instrument full scale deflection so gauge seems ok. any ideas out there?
Hi there I’m new here, I have a punto mk1 55s 96 model.
Don’t know if your punto is similar, but mine doesn’t have any gauge as such. Just a warning light that flashes red
Don’t know if that helps

Back