General mk1 punto sporting 1.2 16v vs 1.6?

Currently reading:
General mk1 punto sporting 1.2 16v vs 1.6?

having read a number of posts in this section of the fiatforum it seems to me that the 1.6 sporting is the lesser of the two, my questions is why?

i've read a number of times that the 1.6 is crap but with no information to back it up,

Thanks

Mark

I would imagine the 1.6 is a moe relaxed drive (ie not having to change gear as often) but the 1.2 has more power, is more refined, more reliable, cheaper to fix if it went wrong I would imagine, and better on fuel.

The Trooper said:
I would imagine the 1.6 is a moe relaxed drive (ie not having to change gear as often) but the 1.2 has more power, is more refined, more reliable, cheaper to fix if it went wrong I would imagine, and better on fuel.

But if the normal thing happens on the 'superFIRE' engines then the cambelt may snap and seeing as its the 16vavle, these are not the 'safe' engines and will bend valves etc costing more to fix surely?
Although, Arent the 16.'s 90bhp, and the 1.2 16v's 85? with 400cc's difference and the 8 valve between then, i wouldnt buy the 1.6 purely because its an older engine, and like stated cannot compete wth the more modern technology of the superFIRE engines :)

Get the belt replaced when due, if not a few thousand miles before, the chances of it snapping then are pretty low.

Yep I was wrong sorry, the 1.6 is 5bhp more powerful, but I'm sure an extra 5bhp is achievable from the 1.2 without too much hassle, like a better air filter or something. Plus the 1.2's lighter so if we're being really picky, that might make it a little bit nimbler!

Back