Technical mk1 punto lost all power and now won't start

Currently reading:
Technical mk1 punto lost all power and now won't start

hey, got new plugs and ht leads for the punto, put them in and the car now starts but still a serious misfire, also loads of white smoke comming out the back, which stinks of oil, so think its more serious a problem than i thought

No visible leak low coolant is a good chance its the head gasket. Coolant tank smelling of petrol or exhaust smelling of coolant will prove it. Compression test will usually tell you which cylinder(s).

head gasket wouldnt cause knocking noise, when you start it , it takes a while so start, and then when it does start it misfires like hell, and when u rev it u gotta be careful , if you open throttle too much it just dies, but if you take your time, it does rev and when you rev it hard you hear a very loud knocking noise,

just going to sell for spares or repair round about £100 ish

I would definitely check the timing. But before that have a look at the crank sensor and see if the wiring is OK. Some cleaning of the sensor area could benefit. It may be the sensor only partially works providing poor spark. Also check all wiring connectors to the engine sensors. When you take the cam belt cover off check to see if the cam belt is tensioned OK. A slackness in the tension will suggest the timing gone bad. Also a slack belt will make a racket when the engine is running.

head gasket wouldnt cause knocking noise, when you start it , it takes a while so start, and then when it does start it misfires like hell, and when u rev it u gotta be careful , if you open throttle too much it just dies, but if you take your time, it does rev and when you rev it hard you hear a very loud knocking noise,

just going to sell for spares or repair round about £100 ish

I had a 1.2 mk1 with the exact same symptons you are describing and it was the head gasket.
I originally thought it must be something much worse because of the loud knocking noises it was making.

ive had a couple of puntos like this,,with the knocking..your headgasket will have blown between two cylinders,,,,

Back