Technical Mk1 Punto Accelerator Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Mk1 Punto Accelerator Problem

Tadhgf

Hey all!
Yesterday my '96 Punto developed a wierd problem. Its kinda hard to explain, but the accelerator isn't working properly. When I pull off (1st gear clearly) the car doesn't move smoothly, its slightly 'jumping', and the engine sound isn't constant like usual, but sounds like its spitting almost. Once I get moving, the sound remains spitting but the jump-y-ness goes.
Then once I'm into the higher gears (4th & 5th), the car really finds it hard to pick up speed. If I put the pedal to the floor or only lightly press it, I'm getting the same acceleration. So say I'm going from 80kph to 100kph the car gets there really really slowly regardless of how hard I press the pedal.
Another thing I noticed today, is that after driving for a half hour, the engine temperature doesn't rise like it usually does. At the highest the needle only went up an eigth of the way (so half way towards the first mark on the dial).

So far I've pulled the accelerator cable under the hood, and the engine makes the same spitting sound, so I know its not a problem with the pedal. I was thinking maybe the injectors were dirty? (I could put that cleaner into the petrol) Or something could be up with the plugs?

Anyone out there have any ideas?? This one is doing my head in.

hi there ,

first we have to assume it is a simple problem that only needs routine checkup and spare parts ,

1- check the spark plugs , are they oil tinged or not. ( of course you have to change them under any condition , they r not expensive anyway )
2- check the spark plugs wires , check them one by one .
3- change the fuel filter THEN use the injectors cleaner , wait untill the fuel lamp lights on , see if any difference occures then it is the dirty injectors , repeat this step if needed.
5- change the air filter , it really affects the acceleration .
6- about the jumping start , once i've faced this problem , when i press the gas pedal , the rpm increases suddenly , i solved this problem by spraying wd40 at the terminal end of the accelerator wire ( under the hood ) , - so simple huh - , i don't know if your problem is the same but why won't you try this method , it may work .

question , when you press the gas pedal hard on the 4th or 5th gear , does the rpm increases suddenly while accelerating from 80 to 100 or it increases in a normal manner , i mean to ask about hte condition of the clutch .

question , when you press the gas pedal hard on the 4th or 5th gear , does the rpm increases suddenly while accelerating from 80 to 100 or it increases in a normal manner , i mean to ask about hte condition of the clutch .

I'll check again today, but no I'm pretty sure that the RPM just increases in a normal manner. The clutch isn't too bad from what I know, but I've never had clutch problems so I couldn't be sure if there is a problem with the clutch or not.

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look into the suggestions you made and I'll let you know how I get on.

what's the milage of your car ? you said that you never had clutch problems , it may be your first one if it is used for a big milage .

sounds like a head gasket problem car jumping temp needle not rising as it may no longer be immersed in coolant

i would stop driving the car and check the water level if there is watter in the car check the rear bleeder for air

buy opening it wile someone blows on the coolant bottle

Back