Styling Mk1 Punto 55s bonnet allignment (And boot release problem)

Currently reading:
Styling Mk1 Punto 55s bonnet allignment (And boot release problem)

dewie93

Hey guys, got a small problem which has been niggling at me since it appeared.

I had a small incident a few months ago where I ran into the back of someone at a roundabout after they stalled. (I was looking right to look for oncoming traffic) But I was only rolling forward so it only nudged my bonnet.

Anyway, to the point. I was wondering what has acctually bent or moved? and can it be rectified. Heres some pics to show you.

Full frontal ;)
2011-08-30175538.jpg

large gap on driver side headlight
2011-08-30175544.jpg

gap all the way up the side
2011-08-30175609.jpg

I got a pic of the bonnet on the passenger headlight but it was blurry. It is practically touching the plastic (compare your mental image with the picture 2 above) Here is the non existent gap up the passenger side
2011-08-30175621.jpg

The bonnet opens and closes fine, although you have to push down harder than usual to close it.

Does it look like the hinges? would it be possible to take the bonnet of and bend the hinges back?

Now onto the boot release.

as a drummer I use my boot alot to put my equipment in and the internal boot release was a godsend. However it no longer works. This is because the cable and stopper have come off the release handle. Nothing has snapped, its just managed to slip off or something. I'v fiddled around with it but with no luck. The cable has gone behind the handle mechanism and the gap is too small to fit a pair of pliers or something to grab the cable and pull it back out to connect it again. Also the cable is pretty taut so it wouldn't be able to pull out easily I don't think. Is there a way to get at it easier or release it somewhere?

Thanks, Jordan

bolts holding bonnet to hinges are fragile things and snap easily but treat with care they do allow a fair bit of adjustment
you would also need to undo front slam too and jiggle that but looking at your bonnet it looks like the leading edge o/s is back but i usually could get these straight with brute force of my fingers pulling behind the lip when it was on the safety catch

caveat umpas mind:)

Thanks guys, my boss at the computer repair workshop I work at is into cars and checked it out and has diagnosed the problem being that the whole drivers side from the front of the bonnet to the drivers door has been knocked out slightly. The headlight is pointing down more than it should and the wing is closer too the door than it should be (and not to do with someone backing into it which also happened -.-)

So, Here's where my solution lies. I need a new front driver-side wing to replace the current dented one, i'v bought a new bonnet and i'm getting a body kit incl. front bumper so what I'll do is remove all of those parts when I get them and they are resprayed, and knock everything back out as its probably just shunted out a bit somewhere. I'l just turn into Jeremy Clarkson for the day and attack my driver side front end with a hammer ;)

Any ideas on the boot release?

Make sure the inner wing is not bent. They are designed to crumple so that could be the root of your problem.

Make sure the inner wing is not bent. They are designed to crumple so that could be the root of your problem.

on the mk1 the front chassis leg always went down in a frontal and this would take the inner wing with it
as i said earlier its just a matter of undoing bolts and realigning unless of course things like front xmember is indeed walloped,it just looks like a little tup to me though:)

So whats the fix? Take off the wing (and replace with none bent one!) take off bumper, give it a few whacks with a hammer and put it back together?
Cheers for your help so far!

Back