Technical Mk1 overheating, water leaking, Help

Currently reading:
Technical Mk1 overheating, water leaking, Help

Punt0

Hi All

My wifes punto seems to overheat once every few weeks when the water gets low, and air gets into the system

I changed the thermostat housing about 6 months ago and I’m sure the water is getting out from there, and air getting sucked in when the car is hot, I have seen water slowing leaking from the gasket.

Would putting sealant around the outside of the housing work or maybe radweld, just don’t want to take it all apart again as I hate the bolts that hold the housing on, snapped once before and caused a headache.:bang:

Many thanks
1996 MK1 punto 56k miles 55sx

Think you got to take off the thermostat housing and seal it properly. Trying to seal outside it is only a bodge and if it keeps overheating you're heading into head gasket failure territory. Radweld and such is fine for pinhole untraceable leaks but I don't think it's a goer for your problem.
The downside of all these snake oil sealers is that they can partially block places you don't want blocked , especially in a Punto, and make things worse.
If I could see a leak I'd fix it mechanically before using any of these things.

I know your right I need to take off the housing again and reseal, I will check the hose first.

All the old gasket did come of the head, I did find that the hosing wasnt bolted on very tightly when I checked it a few weeks ago, I think I was worried about snapping the bolts when I first put it on.

Thanks for the comments

Back