Technical Mk1 Handbrake not working

Currently reading:
Technical Mk1 Handbrake not working

MadMan0

Mk1 Punto Owner - 51 Mpg
1997 mk1 punto 55s 3dr
Hand brake lever tensioned as far as possible but the handbrake is not holding the car on a hill - or the drive :eek:

Having checked the drums and shoes on the back they seem good. Shoes have a good 6mm or more and the drums are okay-ish but i was quoted £25 EACH so i can't replace the 2 drums at the same time so i don't plan to change them untill i can afford the 2 drums at the same time.

The handbrake cables, i don't know what's good and what's bad but I was quoted £32 for the both of them. around 1.46m in length? are these right?

I had a Seicento ( same brakes) same problem. The operating levers in the brakes back plates had distorted over time. New parts fixed it. The cable was fine but adjustment had no real effect on the handbrake. Any wear ridge on the rear drum is not good news.

My brakes showed minimal wear but had to be stripped and new parts fitted.

If not doing it DIY get a full axle set of brake drums and shoes and have the lot done as garage labour will cost the same. You can get axle sets off eBay including wheel (hydraulic) cylinders for minimal money. Linky

Don't skimp on brakes. They always cost more than you save.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I Paid about £10 for 1 New drum So £20 in total
might be £25 together now
so £25 Each is a rip off

I had the problem of Not holding
A - The cables had broken on the lever end, so they weren't applying at all
New cables improved on this

new Shoes as well - however this didnt last

turns out my Drums were Well past it - they'd got a huge lip - a good 8 or 9 mm lip
So it was confirmed that my Drums were Shot

So a New Set of drums and Shoes and after the bedding in period - i then had a good working handbrake

i could very quickly too feel the difference under a loaded car Braking and When braking in general

Ziggy

Cheers guys, from your replies I think the drums are expired :p
P180711_13.11_[03].jpg
P180711_13.11.jpg

I have just tried to adjust the handbrake again, although i looked in the haynes manual and it says to hold the locknut and turn a screw?:confused:

I not have a screw as such, just a nut on a threaded bar with doesn't turn, so i turned this nut in stead - i think this i what i did a few years ago when the handbrake was too high. is this right?

Anyways, the handbrake is now holding but i don't trust it so i'm still leaving it in gear and wheels turned into the curb.(n)

Eurocarparts have up'ed their prices for drums to £28 each...
And i doubt the quality of the parts on Ebay...:(
Shop4Parts do the drums cheaper but at £8 delivery it's no better(n)

Cheers guys, from your replies I think the drums are expired :p
View attachment 94124
View attachment 94125

I have just tried to adjust the handbrake again, although i looked in the haynes manual and it says to hold the locknut and turn a screw?:confused:

I not have a screw as such, just a nut on a threaded bar with doesn't turn, so i turned this nut in stead - i think this i what i did a few years ago when the handbrake was too high. is this right?

Anyways, the handbrake is now holding but i don't trust it so i'm still leaving it in gear and wheels turned into the curb.(n)

Eurocarparts have up'ed their prices for drums to £28 each...
And i doubt the quality of the parts on Ebay...:(
Shop4Parts do the drums cheaper but at £8 delivery it's no better(n)
Hi, we've found the same thing with the Haynes manual menitoning a holding a locknot and turning a screw... and like you we just have a threaded bar...

Did you ever come to a conclusion if just turning the nut is the right thing to do to adjust the handbrake?

Hi, we've found the same thing with the Haynes manual menitoning a holding a locknot and turning a screw... and like you we just have a threaded bar...

Did you ever come to a conclusion if just turning the nut is the right thing to do to adjust the handbrake?

Yes that's right, a 10mm Long socket or a 10mm spanner works.

Back