Technical Mk1 1.2 Punto 75 keeps slipping cambelt

Currently reading:
Technical Mk1 1.2 Punto 75 keeps slipping cambelt

Punto Bizz

The cambelt on my Mk1 1.2 Punto 75 will not stop slipping, no matter how tight you tension the belt.

I fixed it last night and started the drive to work this morning only for it to slip again. I now keep the tools needed in the car so re-timed and tightened the belt only for it to go again minutes after I started it with me stood looking at the engine.

I'm now thinking the teeth on the crank pulley are worn, any ideas?

Any help much appreciated.

Daft question is the cam-belt new ?

Not a daft question at all.

A bit more in depth history.
I bought the car about 6 months ago and put it through the MOT which was rear wheel cylinders a tyre. After about a month of driving it slipped for the first time pulling out of a parking space. My friend runs a garage so he recovered the car and fitted a new belt and tensioner. This one lasted about 3 months before it slipped, this time I had just started the car and not even driven off and the engine died. I re-timed and tensioned the belt myself and drove it for about 2 weeks with it squealing as I put too much tension on the belt which ruined it.

A second new belt was fitted and this lasted another couple of months and slipped driving out of a parlking space on Tuesday night. I re-timed and tensioned the belt myself and drove it for about half a mile before it slipped again. Again I re-timed and tension the belt myself and drove it 1 mile home. It sounded like it was a bit tight again so I loosened the tension a fraction and drove to work this morning. You guessed it, 2 miles from home it slipped again so with tools in the boot I did a road side repair only for it to go again with me stood looking at the engine after just starting it up. It is at the side of the road as I type.

The bottom crank pulley is the only thing we can think could slip.

More road-side repairs took place this morning.

I took the cam belt off and turned it around so the worn side of the ribs were on the non driven side. Re-timed, tensioned and managed to drive it to the garage. (y)

The teeth on the bottom pulley did look a bit worn when I changed the belt over this morning. so got a new bottom crank pulley coming and a new belt kit, hopefully this should end the slipping.

Back