Technical mk 1 ignition coil

Currently reading:
Technical mk 1 ignition coil

kemp2368

hi all :) can or does anyone no if the ignition coils are the same from a 1100cc 60s 1996 punto as the mk1 1200cc 1998 60s they look the same:confused: :confused: :confused:

According to shop4parts.co.uk, the ignition coils are the same for the 55 (1100 cc) and the 60 (1200cc) models. Part number is S4P987 if you want to have a look yourself.

hi there i found the problem today,it was the exhaust was blocked just after the cat ,both boxes were shot so had new on fitted from the cat and it runs like a diff car,with the new ht leads,plugs,air&fuel filter,lambda sensor, and new exhaust its even nippy(if a 1200cc can be) cant remember it running so well,and it has no cover on the coils,(y)
it runs a bit lumpy from cold but i think its the ecu having a fit saying hang on this is how its ment to be so hopefully will sort out after a while as i did reset the ecu as well(y)

Just to add, pretty much all 1008 and 1242 8v coils are the same.

1242 16v coils CAN be the same but the mk2 1242 16v (bravo, punto etc)..can be different. If the coils"s" are one unit, with a plastic coating, and 4 outputs, 1 plug, then this can be retrofitted to the earlier model, by simply splicing two wires together (y)

Not sure if the newer coil pack is technically better, but looks far more resistant to corrosion!

kristian

Just to add, pretty much all 1008 and 1242 8v coils are the same.

1242 16v coils CAN be the same but the mk2 1242 16v (bravo, punto etc)..can be different. If the coils"s" are one unit, with a plastic coating, and 4 outputs, 1 plug, then this can be retrofitted to the earlier model, by simply splicing two wires together (y)

Not sure if the newer coil pack is technically better, but looks far more resistant to corrosion!

kristian

they probably produce a stronger spark so you would need the leads from that car also and then you would need to work out what type of plug and gap to get the optimum from them

buy one coil pack four outlets do you mean as in punto grande engine 65hp 1.2 were they sit on top of the rocker cover or something like 1.6 16v type

I don't remember seeing any older 16v engines with one coil unit they went straight to pencil coils surely

I mean something like this, it sits in the same place at the end of the cam carrier:

8afc_1.JPG

You have the separate pair of coils, the above type which is two coils in one package, then you have COP, which is 4 coils sitting on top of the plugs, as per 1368 variants.

You can make the above coil pack work on the older engines by splicing the wires. I run one using the sei 1008cc ECU on the 1.2 16v eninge I have.

COP is totally different and you can just fit them to an older ecu.

Kristian

I mean something like this, it sits in the same place at the end of the cam carrier:

View attachment 34340

You have the separate pair of coils, the above type which is two coils in one package, then you have COP, which is 4 coils sitting on top of the plugs, as per 1368 variants.

You can make the above coil pack work on the older engines by splicing the wires. I run one using the sei 1008cc ECU on the 1.2 16v eninge I have.

COP is totally different and you can just fit them to an older ecu.

Kristian

so what engines do these coils come from older 1.6 sporting puntos or turbo

also how do you get the fuelling required for a 1242 from an 1108 ecu
was this done to save you having to make the key codes work on your car from another

does it make a great difference using this coil instead of the normal ones are they a stronger spark

Mine was off a bravo 1.2 16v later type, i pressumed the later punto 1.2 16v's had it as well. Its off the one with the cam sensor on the top.

No difference in power as fair as i know, just a different package. Looks neater ;)

ECU wasn't swapped as it was easier that way. haven't mapped it either lol, but 10K miles later and its still running great, and no issues really. does a 0-60 in about 8.5 (gtech'd)

Going a bit off topic there though lol

kristian

Mine was off a bravo 1.2 16v later type, i pressumed the later punto 1.2 16v's had it as well. Its off the one with the cam sensor on the top.

No difference in power as fair as i know, just a different package. Looks neater ;)

ECU wasn't swapped as it was easier that way. haven't mapped it either lol, but 10K miles later and its still running great, and no issues really. does a 0-60 in about 8.5 (gtech'd)

Going a bit off topic there though lol

kristian

well should be careful swamping coils about if one is a more powerful spark it will bur out coil drivers in the ecu i'm sure anyone with a 188 wil know all about that

8.5 that's fast

my punto can do in about 10.5

Back