Mini Moto Starting Issue :s

Currently reading:
Mini Moto Starting Issue :s

ehsankabir330

Hey guys

Having bought my first Mini Moto last night, I am newbie owner and have much to learn about them. I have a question, well a few in particular and wondered if you could advise on all or any of them:

1) I have a Mini Moto, 50cc bike and having put Shell premium unleaded fuel this morning , I cannot seem to start the bike. I have pulled the choke on several occasions and even given the throttle a bit whilst doing so but am having no luck – any advice?
2) In regards to the former, for fueling these little bikes, is just unleaded need or do I need to mix the fuel tank with oil? I have read on some placed on the internet that these mini motos need to have an adequate mix of both, seems bizarre as I would never dream of mixing the two in my car. AND FINALLY
3) Any general maintenance tips for these bikes?

Thanks in advance :)

Ek_1986

first up and most importantly, yes you need to mix 2 stroke oil with the petrol (assmuming it's a 2stroke mini moto and not one of the bigger 4 strokes with gears)

if you don't have a mixer bottle put a cap full of oil into a full tank (cap from 2 stroke oil bottle)

if it's not starting, check it's sparking, if it is, get a bit of the fuel mixed with oil and put a little bit into the spark plug hole, put plug back in and try.

don't know how much you know about engines and stuff so let me know if you want me to explain anything, i used to spend hours upon hours messing around with mini motos rebuilding them and stuff lol

2 Stroke engines need oil added to the fuel to keep them lubricated and cool. They are simple engines so the fuel is more than just for sparking and power -it also lubricates and cools everything down. You should have a little smoke from the exhaust at full throttle. A lot of smoke would suggest it is running too rich. Conversely no smoke would suggest too lean. This applies to my 3.5cc nitro RC car which is just a much smaller 2 stroke engine so I'd expect the same principals will apply.

As aid above check its sparking and also check the air intake/filter. The engine can't run if there is no clean air intake - never run without it all connected up through. Without a filter all sorts of crap could be sucked in!

Last edited:
Back