Technical Mileometer, clock etc display disappears

Currently reading:
Technical Mileometer, clock etc display disappears

Grr

The display of miles,time, fuel, temperature disappears for days on end, then reappears and goes again. My garage says a new part is £400 plus labour and has suggested getting a used part.

Has anyone had this problem? Could anyone help with where I might find a used one? I am not sure what to call it when searching used parts companies on line.

Any advice much appreciated!

I think a little more diagnostic work is in order. If it's intermittently cutting out it could be as simple as a loose connector behind the dash or a fuse about to go, or even just a small short in one of the leads. On the other end of the spectrum, it could be a simple LCD display issue in which case 400 seems a bit steep, but if it's a complete new ECU, the price sounds about right unfortunately, and not being from the UK I wouldn't know where to get one but I'd keep an eye out for Pandas in breaker yards across the country, as they'll most likely sell you whatever part you need if it's still in the vehicle.

The display of miles,time, fuel, temperature disappears for days on end, then reappears and goes again. My garage says a new part is £400 plus labour and has suggested getting a used part.

Has anyone had this problem? Could anyone help with where I might find a used one? I am not sure what to call it when searching used parts companies on line.

Any advice much appreciated!

Where are you located?

Remember if you buy a secondhand MFD that the mileage can only be adjusted upwards, so you need to make sure you buy one which is currently showing a lower mileage than your own car. It will then adjust to the current mileage of your car as shown in the body computer when you do a proxi alignment of the display.

Last edited:
Thanks. What I am asking for if I search for used please? What does MFD stand for? Sorry - new to this!

Thanks. I'm hoping to pick up a used one with the right mileage from a breakers if I can.

Back