General Meta central locking - HELP!

Currently reading:
General Meta central locking - HELP!

tam2oo5

Ive been installing my central locking tonight and i have some major problems.

Ive scortch locked all the wires correctly i think, but the LN connecter i cant get to clip back into place correctly. One of the fuses of blown, and the car wont start now.

its attempting to start but not firing up, would this be connected to the LN problem. Or could anyone tell me what ive done wrong to make it not fire up?.

cheers

I have managed to start the car, one of the fuses had blown causing it not to start so i swapped it, now it is starting fine.

But fuse 39 is still blowing instantly as soon as insert a new one. Do you have any ideas? it controls the cd player and inside lights i think the central locking might work if i replace that ok?

Thanks

I looked today mate, because u have to squeeze 4 wires into the one scortch lock i have a feeling its maybe not connecting right.

Do you think id be best doing it the manual way, just cutting the wires, stripping and connecting then electrical taping them back up.

Its had to know if the scortch lock has been successful.

Would stripping back the wire and connecting them manually do the same job as the scortch locks?

Would stripping back the wire and connecting them manually do the same job as the scortch locks?

no it would be worse they all rattle lose you need to solder them if you want it right also make sure there all right before you do strip anything

scotch locks are rubish never work properly due to varying wire widths i would never use them not even for a cheap stereo install

remember it's very easy to get confused with the conectors looking from the front of them or the back you really need to look for the numbers and positions not colours as they vary due to a number of diferent body computers and fuse boxs the mk2s had

Last edited:
Thanks mate, i feel the same way with these scortch locks. You just dont know if they are working or not in my opinion. I know the positions are all correct i took every connector appart double checked.

Then triple checked yesterday, i think its the scortch lock especially the one that takes the 4 wires. Im gonna solder all 4 of them together. tomorrow when i buy some new fuses then try it out once again.

I have like 5/6 spare wires on the connector for the meta 320 that aint connecting to anything do u know if thats right?.

Thanks very much for your reply mate, been checking every 10 mins lol.

some of them might just been earths. i think you need your main live and earth then your wires for indicators and central locking then the others might just be earths.

i think you need to look very carefully at how you have it wired up i cant se it blowing any fuses if it's corect simply due to poor conections it would have to be shorted

unfortunately i have never fitted one of these meta kits i only had the pleasure of pdi'ing onr mk2 punto when i started working at a fiat dealer as i haven't worked for long so i cant offer any help as to how your wiring may be wrong all i can do is what i have been doing giving advice as to proper connections and simple things like a bad connections don't equal blown fuses in such low current draw applications somwthing has to be wrong

althou i can offer a little bit of experience with the plugs on the back of the fuse box

when you dismantled them or if you did there will be the plug with wires in and a case around it with the locking mechanism on it a front plate to hold the plug in the case and a zip tie you will heve had to cut to separate it all

but also if the plug is made up of 3 pieces inside the case there is a piece of plastic often lost that stops the midle one not suported buy the casr from moving up or down one row of pins

if this happens before you plug it back in you can have many pins in the wrong place now that does equal a few broken fuses

i wouldn't know if you separated any of this style of plug but it may be were you have come unstuck

hello mate, thanks for the advice now i know its not specific but its general so thanks for that.

I dont think any parts were lost, because at the back of the fuse box you dont need to take the connecter apart to find the wire. Because its simply 2 rows, so i think the back end of things are fine.

ive not had the chance to check the wiring today because i have no replacement fuses yet so just holding off just now untill monday. Its the same fuse that is blowing all the time, fuse 39 i think the one that controls the cd player, interior lights ect...

The other fuses are fine, i did see the spark from the fuse when i plugged in the LN connector. But even with the car turned off , insert the fuse and start ignition it blows straight away. Would a bigger amp be required maybe no?

still got a feeling it has something to do with this 4 wire scorch lock or LN connecter.

Will update tomorrow when i get more fuses, and solder wires together ect...

Thanks mate, i never inserted any bigger ones.

I discovered the problem after a fight with my fuse box, the LN socket hs 2 bent pins that are touching together. I have taken it right out now and noticed the problem, so im going to get some thin nose pliers and straighten the pins into place then i think it will work.

I rechecked all the connections, soldered things together and it all looked fine untill i spotted that. 4 fuses later lol, none the less problem discovered only progress from now on.

Cheers

Success!, finally got it working. Soon as the rain went off i went out straightened them up, connected battery back up. Tidied wires, and stuck in new fuse.

didnt blow, and everything is working smoothly. Turned out the wiring was fine, just the damn connector pins had been bent. But all is well now, thanks to everyone for there replys.

Cheers

Back