Technical me horns broken

Currently reading:
Technical me horns broken

Ihatemyfiat

Well not all of my fiats
aboout a year ago I had someone fit a used steering column to my 1.6 02 stilo. Sometime after getting it back I noticed the horn wasnt working. I didnt bother getting it checked out as I was having a bit of a busy time but of course MOT time has come so I cant ignore it any more.

My Guess is the person I got to fit the steering column simply didn't reconect the horn. Where should I check and what am i looking for?

Ta

It's wise to be suspicious if someone's been working in the area but in this case it might just be coincidence as horns often seize up through lack of use. I'd go for the easier access and check if there's power at the horn. Raise the front, remove the undertray if it's still there and check for power when horn switch is pressed-ignition on.

If there's power but horn doesn't work, strike the horn with a hammer and try again.

Mine just went through it's 3rd MOT - clean sheet again- superb green emissions - I luv my Fiats

Last edited:
I've had a bit of a route around - took off the airbag all seems connected not sure how to check for power though. took off steering rack housing and all seems ok, at least nothing loose. Also changed the fuse and swapped the relay with one from my wifes multipla. I also gave the horn a wack with a hammer (at least I think it was the horn as I couldnt see it but felt for it tucked into a vaity in the offside bumber right)and nothing.

Is there any other relay or fuses relating to the horn that isnt under the battery cover?

Any other suggestions before I put into a workshop?

Thanks

get someone to press the horn while you listen for a click at the horn relay (battery fusebox) if it clicks then fault is between relay & horn itself. By doing this you have effectively eliminated 50% of the circuit & narrowed down the area of the fault.

get someone to press the horn while you listen for a click at the horn relay (battery fusebox) if it clicks then fault is between relay & horn itself. By doing this you have effectively eliminated 50% of the circuit & narrowed down the area of the fault.

Great tip I'll try that
Thanks

Often the problem is just a poor contact that hapens where the relay plugs in. Taking it out, squirting some WD40 on the pins and plugging it back in sometimers clears it. You may see corrosion on the pins when you take it out.

If you are desparate to do a quick fix just for the MOT..... I once wired up the horn on our old tipo through a (household front door) bell-push which we mounted on the dash. The MOT man said it didnt matter where the horn button was as long as it worked. It did. For two MOTs in fact, until we replaced the steering wheel which included all the internal brass connections inside, which had failed.

Last edited:
If you are desparate to do a quick fix just for the MOT..... I once wired up the horn on our old tipo through a (household front door) bell-push which we mounted on the dash. The MOT man said it didnt matter where the horn button was as long as it worked. It did. For two MOTs in fact, until we replaced the steering wheel which included all the internal brass connections inside, which had failed.

great stuff!

reminded me when my mate did something similar in his manta GTE

made me chuckle that one. Unfortunatly, I'm likley to be putting her up 4 sale soon so will have to get all the little bits sorted before I do. Sad really as contrary to my user name I've grown to love my Stilo (the ninth fiat I've owned in a row and not the last)

ok so I listened out for a click in the relay while someone else pressed the horn and nothing, so it looks like my first suspicions were correct and that something happend when the electric steering rack was replaced.

just in case I also cleaned the contacts with electrical contact cleaner as suggested.

I think this is now beyong my abilities to resolve so I'll have to pay and get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it which hurts as the clutch has just gone on my wifes multipla:eek:.

Unless anyone else has anu other ideas that is?

Thanks

next step,locate relay, check for battery live at pin 30, ignition live at pin 86(or 85) and a switched earth (from button push) at pin 85 (or 86)

Thanks but you've completley lost me now. I guess thats my last post confirmed then:confused:

I only joined this forum to get me washers working and accidently found this thread. I dont know if its the Riocja thats gone to my head, but I think this is probably the funniest thread I've read in a long time. Quotes from the first 3 posts.
(Problem) Me horns broken (Dilemma) I cant ignore it anymore (Action) Gave the horn a wack with the hammer (Reassurance) Its wise to be suspicious if someones been working in that area (Truth) Horns often sieze up through lack of use (Remedy) Strike horn with hammer and try again - and last but not least "I've had a bit of a root round."
Pure genius. Anyway thanks to the guys who helped me with my problem on another thread. However if my horn ever breaks, I think I will look for help else where. Cheers:)

oh you've rumbled us. This site is nothing to do with fiat owners and if you look hard enough is full of code. its all a cover! You should see what goes on at the meets.:devil:

I only joined this forum to get me washers working and accidently found this thread. I dont know if its the Riocja thats gone to my head, but I think this is probably the funniest thread I've read in a long time. Quotes from the first 3 posts.
(Problem) Me horns broken (Dilemma) I cant ignore it anymore (Action) Gave the horn a wack with the hammer (Reassurance) Its wise to be suspicious if someones been working in that area (Truth) Horns often sieze up through lack of use (Remedy) Strike horn with hammer and try again - and last but not least "I've had a bit of a root round."
Pure genius. Anyway thanks to the guys who helped me with my problem on another thread. However if my horn ever breaks, I think I will look for help else where. Cheers:)

Back