Technical Marea Weekend Brake Lines

Currently reading:
Technical Marea Weekend Brake Lines

cipher

Hello,

I am faced with the exciting task of sorting out a friends Marea W/E that has failed its MoT on the condition of the brake lines.

Both fronts are shot, as are both "Front to rear half" lines.

The fronts are not a problem, but I am wondering about the rear..

I assume that front to rear half means front to brake compensator.

Are these a tank down job?

I dont fance having to take the fuel tank off, in the road with the car on axle stands....

Anyone know if the tank should come off for these?

Thanks in advance.

You dont need to take the tank off there is two ways you can do it . You can actually reach over the top of the tank and feel the clip it goes into( its not that easy to pull the old one out ) but you could lower the tank slightly. You can take the short route in front of the tank. I dont think the brake compensator is at the back on the Marea (hope its not) I think I remember right in saying its somewhere in or near the master cylinder.

Last edited:
I think this is one of the things killing Mareas. Mine got an advisory 2 years ago so I looked and didnt like the pipes going over the tank. As you know I am lucky enough to be on good terms with a garage owner thru the MGCC and he got it done for me. He said on the lift and just pivoting the tank down it was an easy job and it was hard work getting him to take a drink for it. He replaced them with copper alloy ones so they will last forever. This in in south bucks and I'm sure he would do a good deal for someone on the forum.

I am in NE Lincolnshire, and its not my car, so I'm not taking there just for brake pipes.

replaced the control arm on it today, as that was the other thing that it failed on. Took the old one off, and the front bush fell apart in my hands (not kidding, it slid off the arm, and disintegrated!)

Got the new pipe to make the lines from, just dont fancy having to touch the tank, judging by the state of the rest of the car, something is likely to break if I disturb it.

When I was under the car, I noticed that the brake pipes are joined under the NSF footwell, and it look as though this is where the corrosion has set in. One of the lines to the rear is corroded on the front section (Before the join) and the other is corroded after this join. So looks as tho I may get away with just having to do one run to the back of the car., just three front lines to make....

Oh joy.

Wouldn't mind too much, but I'm not being paid for it (hes a mate) and mechanics isn't my line of work anymore, I have just launched a photography business, thought my days of getting covered in oil and muck where over...

hi the compensator is on the near side at the rear of the car above the axle you can get to it to change front to rear pipes without droping the tank down ust a bit tight for room there are joiners under passenger front footwell and there are also some just before it goes over the axle into compensator

When i put stainless lines on mine i ended up having to replace the hardlines too. The over the tank line was one of them which i just cut off and bypassed running as said before infront of the tank, no probs and gone through an mot like that aswell!

Back