Technical Many problems with my Punto - HELP!

Currently reading:
Technical Many problems with my Punto - HELP!

Ziggy1

Hello.
I purchased a 3door 1.2 8v Vreg for £2K eight months ago with 42K on the clock. All was fine until Dec when it all went wrong. I have a warrently with WMS but of course nothing is covered. I no very little about cars as I only ever had to fix my first car (Metro) over 10 years ago!

Firstly:
When I try to turn the heater on it now turns on my side lights and does not blow out any air. My side lights still work by using the stalks. Loads of people seem to be experts but have no clue. Could it just be a fuse? A wiring problems? Or something much worse? The garage had a look and said i needed a new heating system? But why would it turn on the lights if it just needed replacing?

I changed the headlight bulb last week and tried to make sure that seal was intact but alas it is still steamed up. Any ideas?

The most worrying problem is that when I brake I hear a loud metal on metal scratching sound. This used to happen sometimes but now it is constant, it does not go away when i lift of the brake but carries on and starts to make a whiring noise that gets faster as I speed up? Someone said it is just a stone but is sounds more like a boulder. where would this stone be? is this likley or would it be something more serious?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

To top it all I had two tires slashed last week! My girlfriend has just phoned me and said that our year old Golf needs a new computer!

Might just get a donkey to ride about!

i don't know the puntos that well, so can't really offer any specific help. But the heater problem to me sounds like a faulty earth connection or something has gone slightly pear shaped with the wiring and melted a few wires together. I don't know where the wires run, or earth points are on these cars - but that is what i'd be looking for.

The brake problem, sounds like you've worn the pads away. Do the brakes still work well? Is it a front or rear sound? I would get the wheels off, and check all four brakes asap.

Thanks

I will look a the wiring tonight. Not that I know where to find everything but i'll work it out. Thanks

As for the Brakes. The noise comes from the front. I had both wheels off last night and the pads look ok to me. The pads only got changed in April 05 and the car has only done 7K since. The car still stops as well as it did when I brought it. I don't think the noise can be heard much outside the car (Don't know if that means anything)

Any ideas?

Ziggy1 said:
Firstly:
When I try to turn the heater on it now turns on my side lights and does not blow out any air. My side lights still work by using the stalks. Loads of people seem to be experts but have no clue. Could it just be a fuse? A wiring problems? Or something much worse? The garage had a look and said i needed a new heating system? But why would it turn on the lights if it just needed replacing?

I changed the headlight bulb last week and tried to make sure that seal was intact but alas it is still steamed up. Any ideas?

I had the same problem on my MK1 punto but with thre rear lights. The lights had all steamed up and were playing havok with my electrics. the seals were fine, but there was a crack in the casing of the lights. A temp fix I did untill I got new rear lights was to just put a bit of copper grease on the conncetors/contacts of the lights. That seemed to stop and condensation affecting the wires and electrics.

Have you checked fro cracks on the lights?

odd.

could be a front wheel bearing / hub. which side does the noise come from? With the car in neutral, jack it up and spin each of the front wheels and listen for any grinding noises, or any play - basically anything that feels like a knackered bearing.

I had both wheels off last night. The noise is coming from the drivers side, i gave it a spin and i can hear a similar sound but a lot fainter. Would the knackered Bearing / Hub make a worst noise when braking?

Would this make a worst noise when breaking? Would I need a new backing plate or could I just bend it back a bit?

Thanks for the reply

I checked for cracks but there is none. Just one of those things but just looks crap and plus it really cold

Last edited:
Sorry don't mean to be completley stupid but what would a knackered bearing sound like?

Thanks

hard to explain, it would sound like a slight grinding noise, and it would feel kind of gritty when you spin it slowly.

the backing plate can just be bent out of the way if it is catching.

Thanks
Thats exaclty what it sounds like. Would it be worse when breaking though. How much would it cost?

it will be worse on braking as you are applying forces to the wheel, pushing the bearing slightly.

Have you checked the plate as custard has suggested as well.

Bearings cost about £20 - but you need a press to put them in i think. I'm not really clued up on the Punto, on a Cinq I'd just replace the whole front hub bit.

Thanks alot mate you've been really helpful. i'll get that all checked.

My Best Mate designed the punto and there are rubbish! I'll have a word

One more thing that goes wrong on occassion is the power steering. Sometimes when I start the car, turn the wheel and pull away the power steering cuts out. I then restart the car and take thing sslower and i have no problems

Is this really bad or just something to put up with that won't get any worse?

Ziggy1 said:

Multiplug is burnt out(look at the black heavy wire)in the 4 way connector just to the left of the heater blower motor.

Ziggy1 said:

Smear grease around the seal if this doesn't work buy later modified covers

Ziggy1 said:
The most worrying problem is that when I brake I hear a loud metal on metal scratching sound. This used to happen sometimes but now it is constant, it does not go away when i lift of the brake but carries on and starts to make a whiring noise that gets faster as I speed up? Someone said it is just a stone but is sounds more like a boulder. where would this stone be? is this likley or would it be something more serious?

Punto brakes often to grig because of the pad material used but this is only noticeable when slowing to a halt.Remove the wheels & have a look,remove thepads & make sure the carriers are clean & smeared with coppergrease.Remove rust on the circumference of the discs aswell.Also check the backing pads as mentioned.

As for the steering are you turning the wheel immediately after start up? Does it do it when your driving? Has the steering light came on?

Bearings I would leave to dealer if your unsure in any way.

I am steering straight awayfter turning the engine on and the Sterring will cut out sometimes and the light comes on. It has never done it when i'm driving.

How much would basic pads and discs set me back in total?

I was quoted £120 for new discs and pads at the local garage. Is this expensive? How much could i save if i did it myself?

Back