Technical Manual AC - just checking others' experiences

Currently reading:
Technical Manual AC - just checking others' experiences

Well from my physics, I think the UV converts to infra red spectrum when passing through glass otherwise we would all get sun burnt in side the car and truck drivers wouldn't need to wind their windows down... However I think the general principle is correct?
UV filters do not convert the light they absorb it or block it getting into the car.
The UV range of light covers a spectrum and something that blocks UV may only block it in part of that spectrum so while modern cars do block some UV light to some degree you can still get sunburnt inside a car with the windows up.

It is UV that damages the colour of things, so if you leave something in a car for several years you'll still find colours fade, the plastics used in cars are designed to not fade under sunlight for long periods, something like a soft toy left on a parcel shelf is not designed to be so resistant to UV and the sun will easily bleach the colours
This is why the car heats up inside - all that extra infra red.
Yep literally what we're saying, its not all IR though.
As the link above suggests you can create UV and IR reflecting films that don't actually give any real tint;
Yes, but as stated in that link this is quite new, Its also more difficult to block the non visible light without any affect on the visible light, far easier to darken the glass and block light from across the whole spectrum.

Plus many people tend to get windows tinted for the tint and the dark window look. 99.9% of them don't get them tinted for the UV protection. If you're going to pay several hundred for all round tints then most people want to see some difference.

The point is that tinted windows tend to be cooler on a hot bright sunny day because of the extra UV and IR protection they afford.

Science is a bit more nuanced than 'dark thing get hot'

UV filters do not convert the light they absorb it or block it getting into the car.
The UV range of light covers a spectrum and something that blocks UV may only block it in part of that spectrum so while modern cars do block some UV light to some degree you can still get sunburnt inside a car with the windows up.

It is UV that damages the colour of things, so if you leave something in a car for several years you'll still find colours fade, the plastics used in cars are designed to not fade under sunlight for long periods, something like a soft toy left on a parcel shelf is not designed to be so resistant to UV and the sun will easily bleach the colours

Yep literally what we're saying, its not all IR though.

Yes, but as stated in that link this is quite new, Its also more difficult to block the non visible light without any affect on the visible light, far easier to darken the glass and block light from across the whole spectrum.

Plus many people tend to get windows tinted for the tint and the dark window look. 99.9% of them don't get them tinted for the UV protection. If you're going to pay several hundred for all round tints then most people want to see some difference.

The point is that tinted windows tend to be cooler on a hot bright sunny day because of the extra UV and IR protection they afford.

Science is a bit more nuanced than 'dark thing get hot'
Oh dear - I certainly opened a worm hole here. Back to the question, yes, the air con can and does keep the car comfortable in hot weather, and does a great job of speeding up demisting in winter. Let’s leave the glass debate - I’ll just say I stand corrected, and thank you all for taking the time to educate me 🙂

Oh dear - I certainly opened a worm hole here. Back to the question, yes, the air con can and does keep the car comfortable in hot weather, and does a great job of speeding up demisting in winter. Let’s leave the glass debate - I’ll just say I stand corrected, and thank you all for taking the time to educate me 🙂
Haha, I think it was all intended in the spirit of this forum generally - educational!

Mine too is very efficient to the point I have to back the fan down from setting 2 or 3 once a comfortable temperature is achieved; true climate control would be good.

Update on OP.

New condenser fitted (Denso) and it's as chilly as you like in the cabin. When they took the old one off most of the fins ended up on the floor the Man said :ROFLMAO:

Thr part for the 169 is a lot less that the 319 its the gas and labour. I guess at a local garage £250. Gas is the expensive bit!
All in, incl the condenser about that I think.

I say think 'cos they finally fitted my front wheel spacers and had to re-thread the hubs as the OE bolts don't fit to the end, so rusty threads - oh and the 10mm extra-long ones I bought as he told me to all had to be cut down a little... Plus a new DRL holder to replace the one whose contacts had melted. So that whole lot was about £350-£360 incl me buying the parts

Back